Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20702 Discussions

Invalid memory implementation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please I need a help in following two questions: 

First : I need to read from memory one element at a time, however, memory locations is not sequential so I need two variables as indicators. 

The problem is, when I use one indicator, the memory is implemented correctly, but when I add the other one ( k in example below ) the memory tend to be logic. 

IF rising_edge(clock) and show='1' THEN 

outvalues<=Memory1(i+k)-outvalues; -- +k here is the issue. 

k:=k+1; 

if k=3 then 

i:=i+8; 

end if; 

end if; 

So, what is the solution for such case? how I guide the synthesizer to implement it as a memory? 

Second question is: is it possible to initialize 2D array as an image ? , As I know MIF files are one dimension only. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you're trying to infer a memory, you should be creating it as a 2D array, similar to this for a single port RAM: 

ARCHITECTURE logic OF sp_ram IS TYPE mem_type IS ARRAY (0 TO 63) OF std_logic_vector (7 DOWNTO 0); SIGNAL mem: mem_type; BEGIN PROCESS (clock) BEGIN IF rising_edge(clock) THEN IF (wren = '1') THEN mem(to_integer(unsigned(address))) <= data; END IF; END IF; END PROCESS; q <= mem(to_integer(unsigned(address))); END ARCHITECTURE logic;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you're trying to infer a memory, you should be creating it as a 2D array, similar to this for a single port RAM: 

ARCHITECTURE logic OF sp_ram IS TYPE mem_type IS ARRAY (0 TO 63) OF std_logic_vector (7 DOWNTO 0); SIGNAL mem: mem_type; BEGIN PROCESS (clock) BEGIN IF rising_edge(clock) THEN IF (wren = '1') THEN mem(to_integer(unsigned(address))) <= data; END IF; END IF; END PROCESS; q <= mem(to_integer(unsigned(address))); END ARCHITECTURE logic; 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for replying; I already did that, but the problem is when I used two variables to indicate the address, memory couldn't be initialized. 

For 2D, what I meant is to make the initialization as 2D As: 

TYPE mem_type IS ARRAY (0 TO 63 , 0 TO 63) OF 

std_logic_vector (7 DOWNTO 0); 

However, this initialization is not possible to me since MIF file is 1D.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't understand why you're doing that. If you need 64 memories, use a for loop to create 64 mem_type arrays.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't understand why you're doing that. If you need 64 memories, use a for loop to create 64 mem_type arrays. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry I didn't follow, would you give an example ? I am accessing the locations as 0,8,16,24 , 1,9,17,25 ; So normal for couldn'i make it as well. when I change the index memory stopped be initiated.
0 Kudos