Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Is CPLD required for booting CYCLONE 5 FPGA from QSPI flash.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

in cyclone 5- fpga can’t able to fetch the program from spi flash 

FPGA - cyclone 5 (5cgtfd7d5f27i7n) 

SPI FLASH - epcq128si16n  

in our board only one spi flash (configuration flash) is there which is connected to dedicated pins of fpga,no cpld ,no other flash is there. 

1. I have created LED program in quartux2, generated .sof file, and programmed it in to FPGA its working the LED’s are blinking and CONFIG_DONE LED also glowing. 

2. I converted .sof to .jic, and programmed to SPI flash, it IS successfully programmed .It means that program is successfully written on SPI FLASH. 

3. While I press reset button(making fpga_nconfig low), than LED not blinking, CONFIG DONE LED also not glowing it means that FPGA is not able to fetch the program from SPI FLASH. 

same process i tried in two evaluation board as given below it is working - 

I tried .JIC method on cyclone5 GT evaluation board and cyclone5 Gx . 

In this board FPGA is booting from SPI flash after Power ON. 

In both evaluation board CPLD is also in between FPGA and QSPI flash. 

In our custum board CPLD is not used between FPGA and QSPI flash. 

Is CPLD required for booting FPGA from flash or not ? 

IN two board we have seen that .JIC is working ,in both board CPLD is there. 

So my doubt is without CPLD it may be .jic process will not work , if some other process is there than you tell me that procedure through NIOS2 ,I will try that procedure in our board. 

THANKS & REGARDS 

Deepak kumar
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No. You do not need a CPLD to boot the FPGA from FLASH. 

How are your MSEL pins set? 

Are you seeing a configuration clock to the FLASH device? 

Do you see nSTATUS going off during configuration - indicating an error? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Suggest to review DevKit schematic and reference manual. The 5GT board has different configuration options that are controlled by MAX V CPLD and additional logic. It has also DIP switches to select different MSEL settings. A standard AS configuration scheme uses fixed connections and MSEL settings without needing additional logic.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

MSEL[3:0] pins are set to AS configuration 10011.(Even i tried 10010 also). 

During Flash programming we are able to see configuration clock(less than 10MHz). 

During configuration nstatus is not going low . 

after FLASH programming when we power cycle the board/RESET the board than nstatus is toggling . 

Thanks & Regards  

DEEPAK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

During configuration nstatus is not going low 

--- Quote End ---  

Do you mean during FLASH programming nSTATUS is not going low? 

nSTATUS toggling when you reset/power cycle is not good, it suggests the FPGA is seeing an error. How quickly is it toggling and what are the other configuration signals (DCLK, nCONFIG, DATA0) doing relative to nSTATUS? 

If possible, I suggest you post some of your schematic. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Do you mean during FLASH programming nSTATUS is not going low? 

nSTATUS toggling when you reset/power cycle is not good, it suggests the FPGA is seeing an error. How quickly is it toggling and what are the other configuration signals (DCLK, nCONFIG, DATA0) doing relative to nSTATUS? 

If possible, I suggest you post some of your schematic. 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

I attached the flash and power module schematic. 

Nstatus is toggling that time duty cylce is 60(off time 40). 

I attached the scope shot after programming flash when i power cycle the board. 

Regards 

Deepak
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't see anything wrong with the schematic. You don't have any series resistors in any of the traces - something I thought is recommended. However, only Cyclone IV seems to insist on these. Useful to have them anyway - for future reference. 

What do the data and clock signals look like? Have a look at the clock's signal integrity as close to the memory device as possible. Any glitches? How long are the traces? 

Do you see this behaviour for other FPGA images? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

For future references in which traces we have to use series resistors ? 

I am attaching the pcb trace length for flash signals.  

In other FPGA means in cyclone 5 gt evaluation board i tested this procedure,same procedure holds good there ,this behavior not showing .in that board nstatus not toggling at power on. 

Regards 

DEEPAK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

PCB trace lengths look fine. 

Series resistors - look at figure 8-2, page 8-11, of the "configuration and remote system upgrades in cyclone iv devices (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyiv-51008.pdf)" chapter of the handbook. 

Have you a captured clock and data going into the FPGA? 

What does the relative timing look like? 

What speed are you trying to configure at?  

Have you tried delaying boot by holding nCONFIG low for longer after power up? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I tried delaying boot by holding nconfig low for longer after power up ,than also same issue. 

I attached the power sequencing and delay between the power supply ,please once check it. 

we are giving supply first to VCC (core supply),than VCC_aux,VCC_fpll,VCC_bat ,than VCC_pgm,VCC_pd ,VCCIO. 

Is it required to power up first VCC than (VCC_PGM,VCC_PD,VCCIO) than we power up (VCC_AUX,VCC_FPLL_VCC_BAT). 

Regards  

Deepak
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I presume that the power supply have tens to hundreds of microseconds rise time each, thus specifying nanosecond delays is meaningless respectively erroneous. 

Expected power-up sequence is clearly specified in the Quartus device handbook. Read it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I presume that the power supply have tens to hundreds of microseconds rise time each, thus specifying nanosecond delays is meaningless respectively erroneous. 

Expected power-up sequence is clearly specified in the Quartus device handbook. Read it. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

sorry,power supply has rise time in milliseconds only ,By mistake i kept ns in excel sheet i updated and attached it. 

I gone through the datasheet and i attached my doubt in that datasheet page . 

Thanks & Regards 

DEEPAK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your power up sequence looks OK. Refer to the 'Power-Up Sequence Recommendation for Cyclone V Devices' section, page 10-4, of the 'cyclone v device handbook (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v2.pdf)'. Note the comments about monotonicity and meeting the T_ramp time. 

Also consider the 'Power Pin Connections' section, page 12, of the 'arria v and cyclone v design guidelines (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an662.pdf)'. 

--- Quote Start ---  

...ensure that the minimum current requirement for the power-on-reset (POR) supplies is available during device power up. 

--- Quote End ---  

Are your power supplies good enough for this? Note the maximum currents required in Table 10-1: "Maximum Power Supply Current Transient and Typical Duration", in the Device Handbook. If the supplies dip at all during power up the device may not start properly. 

Are ALL you device's power pins connected? Do you have a schematic/symbol/footprint issue? 

I'm suspecting this is power related. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos