Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mingyuexin
Beginner

Is it possible to access loanIO of hps from a fpga ip core with bidirectional IO?

Hi, 

I have a customized design which I have routed a NVRAM to SPI pin of HPS side. 

Now the software team wants to access NVRAM like a flash. So I'm thinking to use generic flash controller ip core in FPGA to control it. I know it's possible to loan pins from HPS to FPGA. 

The issue here is :

The generated conduit signals supposed to connect to FPGA are only unidirectional, see 

._hps_io_gpio_inst_LOANIOXX   Bi-direction              to top level pin assignment
._h2f_loan_io_in                            Out                              to FPGA logic
._h2f_loan_io_out                          In                                to FPGA logic
._h2f_loan_io_oe                           In                                 to FPGA logic

But the generic flash control ip has bidirectional IO for data transfer. It seems I can not connect them together. Is there any solution for this? If not, then I have to redesign the board to use FPGA pin instead. 

Thank you very much for your time. 

Any response/reply is appreciated. 

Mingyuexin

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Hi,

May I know the Quartus version you are working with?

Also, which board are you referring to? Is It Cyclone V SoC, Arria 10 SoC etc

Mingyuexin
Beginner

Hi, 

Thank you very much for the response. 

I'm working with Quartus Prime standard 18.1. 

My board is Cyclone V SOC. 

Thank you very much for your time. 

Best regards

Mingyuexin
Mingyuexin
Beginner

Hi,

Do you have any solution or suggestions on this?

With best wishes

Mingyuexin

Hi,

Accord to our Cyclone V SoC Device Design Guidelines, the recommend peripherals that the HPS dedicated IO with loaner are: QSPI, NANDx8,eMMC, SD/MMC, UART,USB, EMAC

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an-cv-av-soc-ddg.pdf#pag...

NVRAM is not entirely supported. But you may check our video tutorial on how to initiate the example of HPS loaner IO using Qsys/Platform Designer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRwzmsJ1Jkg