Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20684 Discussions

Is there any information on Jtagserver works?

bnguy23
Beginner

I'm using the Arrow Max 10 development board, which uses an FTDI 2232H for the USB interface and 'jtag_hw_arrow_usb_blaster.dll'.

My problem is that we'd like to now use the Max10 in a production product, but with the FTDI 4232H. The hardware (FTDI port A is mapped to the JTAG) is identical between the Max 10 development board and our production board.

Unfortunately, Quartus does not recognize the 4232H device as a Usb-Blaster.

In lieu of Arrow making the trivial modification to the dll's function (get_supported_hardware) to add the 4232H VID/PID (0x0403, 0x6011).. rather than just the 2232H VID/PID (0x403/0x6010)...

I'm assuming jtagserver.exe tells windows that the 2232H was spotted.. so is there a way to have jtagserver.exe do this when the 4232H is inserted instead? This way the 'get_supported_hardware' passes?

Is there any info on how jtagserver.exe works?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Ben, From your explanation, are you saying that the JTAG is connecting to FTDI 2232H and FTDI 2232H to MAX 10 Development Board in the hardware connection and you would like to modify the jtagserver.exe so that you can use Quartus to program the FTDI 2232? We don't have any published information for that and Quartus Programmer is meant for programming Intel PSG FPGA only. Regards, YL
0 Kudos
bnguy23
Beginner

Not exactly..

Quartus currently programs the Arrow Max 10 development board via the FTDI 2232H.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/max1000/arrow-development-tools

We've copied this Max 10 reference design for a product, but need to use the FTDI 4232H.

Is there a way to force 'jtagconfig' to --add a USB-Blaster without physically connecting to the USB?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Ben, Oh, so you are saying that you would like to program MAX10 using FTDI 2232 instead of the USB Blaster I/II but it cannot be done using Quartus Programmer as USB Blaster is not detected. If it so, then it cannot be done. I would recommend to use USB Blaster I/II. Sorry for any inconvenient caused. Regards, YL
0 Kudos