Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

JTAG mode VS PS mode

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello to all...again, 

i have read "http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyc2/cyc2_cii51013.pdf" so Justin suggested me yesterday. 

i don't have understand the difference between ps mode configuration and jtag mode configuartion...(the as mode is ignored by me because needs of serial configuration device 

and i want buy only the cable...) 

jtag mode appear as an excellent "mode test" but which are the really advantages of this configuration? 

someone can help me? 

thanks. 

Stefania :confused:
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi stefania, 

- JTAG mode is good for debugging purpose (downloading bitstream, probing internal nodes with Quartus JTAG tools ...) 

- PS mode is used to program FPGA from a controller (MCU or CPLD config controller for example). It is much more intended for on field ISP programming. 

Hope it will help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks, 

but in jtag mode i can use only usbBlaster or byteBlaster and quartus web edition for program my cyclone II ? 

thank you:rolleyes:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Stefania, 

On the web there is a table that shows support for download cables. JTAG is supported for all supported cables. 

http://www.altera.com/support/devices/tools/altera/cables/tls-altera-cables.html  

To add to what Lunatic stated in the previous post. JTAG can be used for configuration but has a few key advantages. You can scan the chain for connectivity. You can do boundary scan testing if your system and test setup supports this (Testers primarily). Altera offers BSDL files free to download. You can use SignalTap II to probe internal nodes similar to a logic analyzer for debugging. You can also use a JIC file to program EPCS devices indirectly using serial flashloader to load the flash through the connections of the download cable to the FPGA then AS to the EPCS from the FPGA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

perhaps I have explained badly my problem (for guilt of my english...) 

I want buy a cable...create a cable connector on my pcb (that contain cyclone II) 

write my vhdl code (this is not a problem for me) and program my fpga with any other component . 

i am a good vhdl user but when i speak about cable or similar i don't understand nothing!!! 

Stefania
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No worries. You can get a USB Blaster II, ByteBlaster II, or EthernetBlaster (Works over networks over ethernet, very handy if your PC and board aren't in the same location). See the configuratoin chapter for connections for 10 pin header. Hope this helps.  

Cable connections are simple. USB Blaster II plugs into PC USB connector on one end and 10 pin header on your board and can be used for PS mode or JTAG mode (Supports AS mode too but you don't need it).  

For Hardware connections go to http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr.pdf and click on the "Hardware Setup" in the bookmarks on the left of the PDF.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are looking for a USB JTAG adapter, you may have a look at www.terasic.com This company also produces nice Altera Dev boards. 

These programmers are recognised by Quartus. 

Regards, 

Andries
0 Kudos