Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

LCD TV Becomes Bulletin Board good or bad idea?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you see any reason this wouldn't work well? I am planning to build an FPGA device with VGA out and SD card input, this would simply display slide after slide on the TV with upcoming events, who has paid there dues, who owes dues, etc etc. I would just build a reports in PeachTree and make bitmaps in powerpoint saved to the SD card. 

Can a CyClone II FPGA run for 12-14 hours a day and not malfunction? Do you think a CPU fan would make it run longer. 

I do accounting/bookeeping for these people (i have several jobs), they are willing to pay $30,000 US for an electronic Bulletin board they probably have to hire a software savy person with time on their hands to run, come on guys, were running a pub, not an airport. 

Please post any reason you think this isn't a good idea. I am good with software, need help with hardware. My Cyclone II kit came list week and I LOVE IT, the HDL is much easier then I thought to write.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

VGA, quasi still images, SD file system....hmmm, 

It isnt an fpga/niosII (sorry Altera) which comes first in my mind for that application. I'd rather suggest some processor kind of platform like pc104. 30k$ should leave you with some pocket money as well using that approach! 

But it depends of course on your volume and cost..... and interests
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can a CyClone II FPGA run for 12-14 hours a day and not malfunction? Do you think a CPU fan would make it run longer. 

--- Quote End ---  

You can keep your FPGA powered on and operating continuously as long as you operate it within the limits in the data sheet (the Cyclone II device handbook in this case). That includes keeping the junction temperature within the spec limits. 

Quartus can run a power analysis that accounts for the operating conditions. If Quartus says the junction temperature is OK with no air flow, then you don't need a fan. Just keep in mind that Quartus is estimating the power based on the information you provide, and simulation data with representative toggle rates for internal signals is required for the most accurate estimate.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Wow, the prior answer is very accurate, but I think that in this case most none of that worry is needed. 

The design sounds very simple and will not take up much of the FPGA resources. 

Go for it, should be rather simple to build, and should take almost no power. 

There are a few kits already out there with all the hardware you need in place already. 

You could probably run it for 10 years with no heat issues.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd consider the still images to be a true hassle in the longer run. I'd want to have some online connection and be it just over the serial line to a PC. The need to insert a memory card limits the range of possible locations to manually reachable locations. With just a serial port the content can be updated remotely. Meaning, add a PIC or an AVR for the slave serial port. It'll add a worthwhile two dollars to the cost. 

Rene
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Skip the PIC or AVR and use the NIOS embedded processor if this is a route you might take.

0 Kudos