Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

License File for Purchased IP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Recently I purchased IPS-EMBEDDED from Mouser Electronics, which is supposedly the base IP suite (include ddr memory controller, 3-speed ethernet, etc.). Altera emailed me a product activation code and some vague instructions on how to obtain license files through Self Service Licensing centre. 

The problem is that when I logged onto mySupport, the self service licensing page is empty (no products shown), and there is no way to specify the product I need to add. I also used the search button with the provided product activation code, but the system cannot process it. 

I filed a service request 5 days ago, first they complained about me not using a work email. After updating my company information, I have not received any acknowledgement. I suspect that no one has looked at my service request yet. 

The reason I post this question: I suppose there is something basic that I miss; the instructions on how to use a purchased IP should be intuitive or well-documented. I hope someone with experience dealing with Altera licenses can point me in the right direction. 

Ben Chang
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you try asking Mouser?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have not asked Mouser; I supposed they would just point me to Altera, based on my experience dealing with them. But since you mentioned it, I sent Mouser an email just now. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you click "Create New License" on the left? Your product should be listed in there or in there is a button to search by activation code.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did try to create a new license, and it showed an empty list. The system prompted me to contact customer support. I also tried to search by activation code, and the system replied saying it cannot process the code.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update: 

A service request solution arrives with the message that now the license is tagged with my account (this is after i updated the work email, previously I registered myAltera account with a personal email). The problem is I cannot access mySupport nor self licensing centre ( I can log in to view my profile but the site direct me to an unauthorized page if I click on mySupport or licensing centre). Replying the email gives no response. 

They say they will leave the service request open for 20 days until I have the chance to verify the solution; it is funny that I cannot leave any message to dispute over this solution. 

I am receiving crappy service (product never delivered), and considering asking for a refund.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you try a different web browser or clear your cache? I'm not having any issues getting to Mysupport or the self-service licensing center.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. 

I tried IE and firefox, and on 2 machines, with the same result. I think the problem is not the web browser. I actually go to the following page: 

https://mysupport.altera.com/alteraservreq/not_authorized.html 

And the web browser reports there are too many redirects. 

It looks like the problem is with myAltera account.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you can get a refund, do it and buy through Arrow instead. You get a better customer service, and a local FAE you can contact directly to solve those kind of problems. 

I didn't even know you could buy licenses through Mouser.
0 Kudos
benc
Beginner

Final update: After the Altera site migration, I can finally file another customer service request, after which they tag the product IP with my account; and I can generated a license file properly. I do not know what was wrong with the system (they also claimed they tag it with my account before the migration), but I do know that their support is as good as non-existent.

By the way, Mouser refused to issue a refund; and from an earlier discussion with engineers from Arrow, they say they no longer sale products from Altera (which is why I looked elsewhere, and found Mouser).

0 Kudos
Daixiwen
New Contributor I

That's odd. AFAIK we still have support through Arrow Nordic here. Which country are you in?

Intel FPGA is still listed on Arrow's website:

https://www.arrow.com/en/manufacturers/alteraintel-programmable-solutions

I can't find any distributor information on the new Intel website to confirm this. It must be hidden there somewhere.

0 Kudos
benc
Beginner

I reside in Canada. I also thought it was strange, but that was what they told me.

0 Kudos
Daixiwen
New Contributor I

I found at last the distributor page on Intel's website (using the search function instead of the menus. I wasn't used to do that on Altera's site ;) )

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/resellers/where-to-buy/distributor.html

Arrow is listed both in the USA and Canada.

0 Kudos
benc
Beginner

That was what I found on the old Altera site, and that was why I contacted Arrow.

0 Kudos