Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Looking for help on constraint syntax

GD76
Novice

There is a setup slack violation (see attached). The timing violation at RAM_CONTROL:i13|q3 to DSACK1. We are off by 2.477ns. Looking to understand what syntax for CPLD can be constructed to constraint the path. 

Adding the SLOW_SLEW_RATE to the IO in DSACK1 in assignment editor and setting it as OFF works. But looking for a solution more embedded in making the tool route internal path. Any help apprecieted.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If I'm reading your document correctly, you're transferring between a 40 MHz clock domain and a 20 MHz clock domain.  As such, you need a multicycle timing exception in your .sdc file.  Going from a faster to a slower domain usually requires a -start multicycle to select the correct launch edge for the setup and hold analysis:

set_multicycle_path –from SYSCLK –to CLK20MHZSYS_ext –setup –start 2 

set_multicycle_path –from SYSCLK –to CLK20MHZSYS_ext –hold –start 1 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If I'm reading your document correctly, you're transferring between a 40 MHz clock domain and a 20 MHz clock domain.  As such, you need a multicycle timing exception in your .sdc file.  Going from a faster to a slower domain usually requires a -start multicycle to select the correct launch edge for the setup and hold analysis:

set_multicycle_path –from SYSCLK –to CLK20MHZSYS_ext –setup –start 2 

set_multicycle_path –from SYSCLK –to CLK20MHZSYS_ext –hold –start 1 

0 Kudos
GD76
Novice

The CPLD gets 20MHz clock. The SYSCLK is 20MHz. Not sure where you got the 40MHz from.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Your launch edge time is at 25, so I thought it was 40 MHz.  Can you show a screenshot of the waveform view in your timing analysis?

0 Kudos
GD76
Novice

Here is the waveform. So the clock need to delayed by 50ns.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So you're launching on the falling edge and you want to latch not on the next rising edge but the rising edge after what's in your screenshot?  So a period and a half?  Maybe:

set_multicycle_path –fall_from SYSCLK –to CLK20MHZSYS_ext –setup –end 2 

set_multicycle_path –fall_from SYSCLK –to CLK20MHZSYS_ext –hold –end 1 

0 Kudos
GD76
Novice

DSACK1 is launching at falling edge, but want delay it to next falling edge. In this case half-period is 25ns, so 50ns.

So, I have  external clock as 50ns, half-period 25ns

create_clock -name {SYSCLK} -period 50.000 -waveform { 0.000 25.00 } [get_ports {SYSCLK}]

From the above, creating a virtual clock

create_clock -name {CLK20MHZSYS_ext} -period 50.000

The signal of interest constraint as below and give setup slack timing violation. How to make this delayed?

set_output_delay -clock CLK20MHZSYS_ext -max 7.5 [get_ports {DSACK1_n}]
set_output_delay -clock CLK20MHZSYS_ext -min 0.5 [get_ports {DSACK1_n}]

Then tried add this but still give violation

set_output_delay -clock CLK20MHZSYS_ext -clock_fall 50.000 [get_ports {DSACK1_n}]

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

-clock_fall is a switch indicating, for output delay, that data is captured on the falling edge of the virtual clock.  I'm not sure why you have "50.000" there.  You would still need -max and -min with 7.5 and 0.5, respectively.

So I'm still not clear what you want.  Are you saying you want this signal launched by a falling edge (SYSCLK) and latched by the next falling edge of CLK20MHZSYS_ext?  If you clarify exactly what edges you want to use for launch and latch, maybe even a diagram, that would help.

0 Kudos