Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

MAX 10 10M25SAE144 problem boot from internal flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I created a simple bitstream to blink an LED. It works fine when I download the SOF through JTAG and the LED blinks. But after I programmed the POF to the internal flash, the LED didn't blink after power up. nSTATUS = 2.5V instead of 3.3V(I have 3.3V VCCIO). I tried the latest Quartus 17.0.2, it didn't help. I asked our layout engineer to check the PCB, but he didn't see any problems. 

nSTATUS, nCONFIG, and CONF_DONE all have a 10K pullup resistor. 

Has anyone seen this problem? Thanks for your comment.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the way, here is how I programmed the internal flash with the POF from quartus_programw GUI: 

. erase full chip 

. program + verify 

There was no errors in verify.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi siliconvalley, 

The FPGA normally pulls the nSTATUS pin low when an error occurs during configuration. 

1.Check the pin nConfig and nStatus in reset state it should be high state. 

2.Kindly recheck check the drive strength of the source. Is Source giving 3.3 volts, 3A & voltage across all pin(3.3) is drooping or only the nSTATUS pin. 

3.Is .pof generated with correct configuration. 

4.Is there any configuration in board available to select the different sectors of the flash to load different program? 

5.Try to load .jic using flash loader instead of .pof. 

or erase the EEPROM and try it again. 

Can attach schematic/screenshot of schematic. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anand, thanks for your replay. 

For the list of your suggestions: 

1) I will probe nConfig and report back. I remember I read Intel/Altera's document somewhere about nSTATUS low after config indicating an error during the config. 

2) I am going to ask our board engineer on the regulators. He told me the regulators he picked are better than those found on the evaluation boards of 10M08 and 10M50.  

3) I tested the POF of the simple design on 10M08 and 10M50 evaluation boards and both eval boards work fine(with minor changes for device and pin locations since we have a 10M25 chip). I think the 

POF should be good. 

4) I am going to use dual boot of 10M25 but for the simple config test, I only used a single image. 

5) I will create a JIC file and see if it makes a difference. Is there a known issue with POF internal flash programming on MAX 10 devices? 

Best regards, SV.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anand, I measured nCONFIG V = 3.22V, same as CONF_DONE. 

I tried to create a JIC file but it seems MAX 10 doesn't have Active Serial configuration for the internal flash. 

Since the PCB is for pre-production sorry my boss doesn't allow me to attach it here. 

Best regards, SV.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi SV, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Is there a known issue with POF internal flash programming on MAX 10 devices? 

--- Quote End ---  

No issues. We have to follow all the recommended steps & setting as per MAX 10 FPGA Configuration User Guide. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I measured nCONFIG V = 3.22V, same as CONF_DONE. 

--- Quote End ---  

This means device is Working fine.check with below option enable. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I tried to create a JIC file but it seems MAX 10 doesn't have Active Serial configuration for the internal flash. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, Flash is inside the device.we can use any methods below 

a.Generating the .pof with ICB settings. 

b.Programming the .pof into the internal flash. 

Try to load pof with below option enabled. 

1.Enable the real-time ISP mode, turn-on the Enable real-time ISP to allow background programming. 

OR 

Download the device Kit.Load sample program and check. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anand, thanks for your help.  

I checked "Enable real-time ISP to allow background programming when available" in Quartus programmer. At first, the programmer gave me an error: 

Warning (16328): The real-time ISP option for Max 10 is selected. Ensure all Max 10 devices being programmed are in user mode when requesting this programming option 

Error (209012): Operation failed 

I downloaded the SOF file through JTAG then it proceeded to program and verify the new flash without any errors. It seems to me the JTAG download forced it to user mode. But after I power cycled the 10M25 device, it didn't get configured from the flash. 

Arrow Electronics, one of Intel's partners has a visit to my company w.r.t. this issue on Wednesday. I will see what they say.  

Best regards, SV.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

update: 

Our PCB has a 74LVC4245. Its T/Rn is tied to VCC, OEn is tied to GND. nSTATUS and CONF_DONE are connected to the A side of the 245 transceiver. We thought it should be OK but after disconnecting nSTATUS and CONF_DONE from the 245, it works.
0 Kudos