cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

MAX-V input impedance

Hi all, 

I wander what is the IO and CLK input impedance of the MAX-V before first time programming the device? 

(I don't want the CPLD to disturb the CPU signals that are connected to it). 

Thanks, 

Shony
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Hi, 

all Altera devices have weak pull-ups, which are enabled until the device enters user mode (i.e. during configuration, etc.). My understanding is that these are also applied while the CPLD is not programmed yet, at least I could not find anything contrary in the manuals. 

The spec for the MAX V is not as clear as e.g. for Cyclone devices, but as far as I understood it, the weak pull-up resistor depends on the applied I/O voltage, and it can be as low as 5 kOhm. 

So I'd say as long as all your CPU signals are properly driven (and you don't use any fancy open-emitter outputs), the CPLD should not interfere with the CPU. 

Best regards, 

GooGooCluster
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

all Altera devices have weak pull-ups, which are enabled until the device enters user mode (i.e. during configuration, etc.). My understanding is that these are also applied while the CPLD is not programmed yet, at least I could not find anything contrary in the manuals. 

The spec for the MAX V is not as clear as e.g. for Cyclone devices, but as far as I understood it, the weak pull-up resistor depends on the applied I/O voltage, and it can be as low as 5 kOhm. 

So I'd say as long as all your CPU signals are properly driven (and you don't use any fancy open-emitter outputs), the CPLD should not interfere with the CPU. 

Best regards, 

GooGooCluster 

--- Quote End ---  

---------------------------------------------- 

Thank you GooGooCluster. 

Shony
0 Kudos