Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

MAX+plus II 8.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, first off, I know that version 8.0 of MAX+plus II, from 1997, is old, obsolete, etc. However, I'm desperately trying to recreate a build of some old VHDL code in an attempt to reproduce a binary for a FLEX 8000 series (EPF8820A) part. To get the exact same results from the late 90s, I need to recreate the exact same build environment, which includes this specific version of MAX+plus II. I have tried a later version (10.1), but it did not produce identical results. 

Altera support has been able to provide me with a copy of the version 8.0 software, but apparently their systems can no longer produce a compatible license file for this version. 

Is there anybody out there that is still using version 8.0 or otherwise still has a license to this version that might be able to help me out to execute a build? I know it's a longshot, but... 

Thanks, 

- Jay
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some FPGA tools use random numbers to make routing decisions. If this is the case with your MAX+ tool, you won't be able to reproduce the build without the random number seed used to create the build.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Some FPGA tools use random numbers to make routing decisions. If this is the case with your MAX+ tool, you won't be able to reproduce the build without the random number seed used to create the build. 

--- Quote End ---  

Geez, I sure hope that's not the case... 

The Altera Configuration File for the build does not specify any sort of random number seed, so I'm assuming/hoping that this version of MAX+plus II doesn't use random numbers. 

I did the front end synthesis using Synopsys Synplify version 3.0, and it produced identical results to a build from 1997, so it doesn't appear to use random numbers.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

This is true of all fit engines, they are fed a seed value to get different fit results. But this seed is based on source-code and manual seed value. Given the same tool version on the same platform with the same source code and same fit seed, you should get identical results (and this is a very important thing).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Geez, I sure hope that's not the case... 

The Altera Configuration File for the build does not specify any sort of random number seed, so I'm assuming/hoping that this version of MAX+plus II doesn't use random numbers. 

I did the front end synthesis using Synopsys Synplify version 3.0, and it produced identical results to a build from 1997, so it doesn't appear to use random numbers. 

--- Quote End ---  

Synth isnt random - its the fit that is random (based on a seed that you can control).
0 Kudos