Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20678 Discussions

MAX10 Internal OSC. Only 55 or 116 Mhz? Nothing between?

PYtte
New Contributor I

I want to use the internal clock and have been successful at using the 116 MHz setting. But when I looked at the the specification it look like you can choose freely between 55 to 116 MHz.

"55~116" and one document stating 82 MHz is the typical. I thought this meant. 55 is the lowest. 116 is the highest but 82 is recommended. 

But in the IP Parameter Editor only 55 or 116 MHz are available. Is there some other way to configure it or can I only have one of those?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Your last observation is correct. The internal oscillators on these parts are not capable of high accuracy and have a very wide range that they may operate at. Thus you could see the internal oscillator vary from 55MHz to 116MHz and all you can count on is the frequency you will see on a particular part is somewhere in that range. It will also vary over operating temperature and voltage range. Part to part variance will also occur, of course.

So if you need a precise frequency for operation you MUST use an external reference such as a crystal oscillator based device or a known accurate frequency source.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
PYtte
New Contributor I

I found this on Youtube. He using a QSYS project to set the frequency it seems. Is this the way to choose frequency?youtube_guide_ss.jpg

0 Kudos
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Peter

Thanks for your inquiry.

For output frequencies other than default frequencies available for internal oscillator, we can use divider to create them.

There are couple of design examples available here:

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/?search=oscilla&acds_version=any

Thanks.

Eng Wei

0 Kudos
PYtte
New Contributor I

That is a solution when you know the frequency but from what I gather you implement the Internal Oscillator and get a frequency within the range of 55 to 115 MHz. There is no way for me to set a specific frequency.  If I have a protocol that require precise timing I have to know the clock speed. I can´t have one board where the FPGA is running at 55 MHz and one where it is running at 116 MHz. 

I will just implement a external clock on our PCB so I can make sure I have a specific frequency. 

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Your last observation is correct. The internal oscillators on these parts are not capable of high accuracy and have a very wide range that they may operate at. Thus you could see the internal oscillator vary from 55MHz to 116MHz and all you can count on is the frequency you will see on a particular part is somewhere in that range. It will also vary over operating temperature and voltage range. Part to part variance will also occur, of course.

So if you need a precise frequency for operation you MUST use an external reference such as a crystal oscillator based device or a known accurate frequency source.

EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Peter

There are some variations in the internal oscillator frequency because of the process, voltage, and temperature (PVT) conditions. We need external clock source for high accuracy clock.

Thanks.

Eng Wei

0 Kudos
PYtte
New Contributor I

Thanks for confirming this. I feel this could have been clearer in the documentation.

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Peter

We will transition the case to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Eng Wei

0 Kudos