Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

MAX10 JTAG programming issue

j27
Beginner

Hello everyone,

We have problems reprogramming a MAX10 (10M08SAE144C8G) on some customer boards via JTAG and the USB-Blaster after it has been previously programmed. We are using Quartus Prime 19.1 and the USB-Blaster.

About 40 boards were programmed with identical hardware and VHDL description. After that, about 5 of them could not be reprogrammed again. The affected FPGAs still work without problems, they just can no longer be programmed. 

In our design we use the nCONFIG, nSTATUS and CONF_DONE pins as user pins. 

We also tried the "Test JTAG Chain" with the JTAG Chain Debugger without success. Attached pictures show the JTAG signals for a broken (broken_TestJTAGChain.png) and a good (good_TestJTAGChain.png) FPGA. The TDO-Signal of the broken one just stay high.

Attached picture "circuit_diagram.png" shows the JTAG circuit. 

Have any of you faced a similiar problem?

   

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Daniel,

From your explanation, i understand that you have 2/40 board having issue and the design, setup and etc are identical on all the 40 board. Am i correct?

Also, you mentioned that "We also tried the "Test JTAG Chain" with the JTAG Chain Debugger without success". Are you saying that you cant perform test JTAG chain? or you can but it shows error? any idea on the error?

0 Kudos
j27
Beginner

Hi,

Yes thats right, we have 2/40 board having issue and the design, setup and etc are identical on all the 40 board.

The Test JTAG Chain shows the error "Error: JTAG Chain problem detected. Error: No device detected."

j27_0-1650353252538.png

When we try to program the boards with the .sof or .pof we get the following error messages: "209030 Can't access JTAG chain", "209012 Operation failed".

j27_1-1650353419850.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the update. It seems to me that it could be the device issue or JTAG trace on the board. Can you please swap the device with known good device to do test?

0 Kudos