Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

MAX10 PLL dedicated routing warning

lutzek
New Contributor I

I have some warnings during compilation. I suppose, that all of them are caused by wrong PLL connection to inputs / outputs. I am using 10M02SCM153C8G with 3 PLL output clocks active

Warning (18550): Found RAM instances implemented as ROM because the write logic is disabled. One instance is listed below as an example.

Info (119043): Atom "Double_RAM:b2v_Double_RAM|altsyncram:altsyncram_component|altsyncram_65e1:auto_generated|ram_block1a3" is instantiated as RAM, but it is actually implemented as ROM function because the write logic is always disabled

Warning (15714): Some pins have incomplete I/O assignments. Refer to the I/O Assignment Warnings report for details

Warning (15058): PLL "PLL:b2v_PLL|altpll:altpll_component|PLL_altpll:auto_generated|pll1" is in normal or source synchronous mode with output clock "compensate_clock" set to clk[0] that is not fully compensated because it feeds an output pin -- only PLLs in zero delay buffer mode can fully compensate output pins

Warning (15064): PLL "PLL:b2v_PLL|altpll:altpll_component|PLL_altpll:auto_generated|pll1" output port clk[0] feeds output pin "CODEC_MCLK~output" via non-dedicated routing -- jitter performance depends on switching rate of other design elements. Use PLL dedicated clock outputs to ensure jitter performance

Warning (15064): PLL "PLL:b2v_PLL|altpll:altpll_component|PLL_altpll:auto_generated|pll1" output port clk[1] feeds output pin "MCP_CLK~output" via non-dedicated routing -- jitter performance depends on switching rate of other design elements. Use PLL dedicated clock outputs to ensure jitter performance

Warning (15064): PLL "PLL:b2v_PLL|altpll:altpll_component|PLL_altpll:auto_generated|pll1" output port clk[1] feeds output pin "CODEC_BCLK~output" via non-dedicated routing -- jitter performance depends on switching rate of other design elements. Use PLL dedicated clock outputs to ensure jitter performance

Warning (169177): 7 pins must meet Intel FPGA requirements for 3.3-, 3.0-, and 2.5-V interfaces. For more information, refer to AN 447: Interfacing MAX 10 Devices with 3.3/3.0/2.5-V LVTTL/LVCMOS I/O Systems.

Warning (169202): Inconsistent VCCIO across multiple banks of configuration pins. The configuration pins are contained in 2 banks in 'Internal Configuration' configuration scheme and there are 2 different VCCIOs.

Warning (222013): Relative toggle rates could not be calculated because no clock domain could be identified for some nodes

Warning (10905): Generated the EDA functional simulation netlist because it is the only supported netlist type for this device.

I suppose, that everything starts from Warning 15058 and 15064. In my design PLL lock pin is also enable signal for functional part of design. I suppose, that this signal never goes high, so that's why Warning 18550 occurs. In case of RAM memory - in Modelsim everything works perfectly. 

In case of PLL errors - is this because I assigned PLL input / outputs to wrong pin? I am using pins J4, J5, K4 pins for these clocks. input clk is 9.216MHz crystal, output clocks are 18.423 MHz, 2.304 MHz and 384 kHz.

I tried to solve PLL problem by changing mode to "zero delay buffer mode", but then some errors came out:

Error (176557): Can't place PLL "PLL:b2v_PLL|altpll:altpll_component|PLL_altpll:auto_generated|pll1" in target device due to device constraints

Error (176593): Cannot place PLL "PLL:b2v_PLL|altpll:altpll_component|PLL_altpll:auto_generated|pll1" in PLL location PLL_1 -- compensated output clock pin "CODEC_MCLK" of the PLL must be placed in dedicated output clock I/O -- PLL is in zero-delay buffer mode

Error (176568): Can't place PLL "PLL:b2v_PLL|altpll:altpll_component|PLL_altpll:auto_generated|pll1" in PLL location PLL_1 because I/O cell CODEC_MCLK (port of type CLK of the PLL) has an incompatible location assignment with PLL I/O pin Pin_P2

Error (171000): Can't fit design in device

I'm not sure why am I getting error Warning (169202). I set VCCIO of all available banks to 3.3V. All I/Os are set to 3.3V LVCMOS standard (including clock pins)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi lutzek!

As about PLL locked output pin - it is not always a good idea to use locked signal as enable, because

of it's indeterministic nature. But in many cases it is ok to do that.

Also - are you sure that locked never goes out of zero after power up? Your PLL never reach locked state? 

As about warnings of PLL modes - it is normal and understandable warning - you choose Normal feedback mode in PLL but select the clock to go outside the device - in case you want to fully compensate the path you need to choose zero delay buffer mode. And when you had selected that mode you expectedly received an error because that mode need a special, dedicated pins in order for compensation to happen.

Hope it helps.

--

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos