Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

MAX10 RSU with C series ?

XYu
Beginner

Hello, everyone

I would like to use MAX10 series 10M08SCE144A7G to operate RSU function. I find that C series is compact version and it only has Single Uncompressed Image configuration mode.

I wonder whether this series can be used in RSU just follow AN741. I notice it doesn't have IMG2?

Or any other ways I can choose for RSU in this FPGA.

Ps: I attach eeprom with iic as a external rom in my board

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi XYu,

MAX 10 compact device type only support single configuration image with self-configuration capability. Thus in the Quartus project design only allow you to choose either the Single Compressed Image or Single Uncompressed Image mode. The compact feature does not support the Dual configuration image features thus you won't be able to use the Dual Configuration IP (for RSU function) your project design. If you require to use the Dual Configuration IP (for RSU function), you can only use with flash or analog type MAX 10 device.

You can refer this information from the following links:

a) Under Table 3. Feature Options for Intel MAX 10 Devices

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/m10_overview.pdf

b) Under chapter 2.1.2.1. Internal Configuration Modes

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_config.pdf

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
XYu
Beginner

Really thanks for your reply Nooraini.

I wonder is there any other way for me to do remote system upgrade without using Dual Configuration IP.

As i mentioned, I have an external ROM ( attach with MAX10 with IIC ), i wonder is it possible that I can use it as configuration rom.

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi XYu,

The MAX 10 remote update function that require dual images with self-configuration capability can only work with flash/analog devices that support Dual configuration image feature (allow to store 2 image images (.sof files) of MAX 10 bitstream). Then only user can use the Dual Configuration IP. The Dual Configuration IP cannot be use with Single Compressed Image or Single Uncompressed Image mode. MAX 10 device that only has Single Compressed Image or Single Uncompressed Image mode, can only store 1 image (.sof) of MAX 10 bitstream.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
jfletch
Beginner

So can RSU be accomplished with the Compact variant devices or not? Can the single CFM image be reprogrammed using:

"On Chip Flash Intel FPGA IP"  (onchip_flash)

Is JTAG the only way of updating the CFM flash?

0 Kudos