Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

MAX10 watchdog in ICB // how to enable?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know already how to kick the dog.... (I do not understand how it is connected to "dual configuration" anyway....?) 

But I tried already both evaluation version Quartus 14.1 and Lite version 16.0 and in both in Device - Pins configuration is only greyed option for watch dog, and again under the line reading 

"dual configuration" (!? why, how it depends on dual configuration ??) 

What am I overlloking again? Why the watchdog option is greyed and how it depends on dual configuration? ( if it depends...) 

Do I have to somehow (how?) use dual configuration to have the watchdog available? 

Any explanation is very very welcome! 

Thanx
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can anybody from Altera respond how to use this watchdog? I have some level of IQ and I read a lot of pages already but no answer yet. 

I found the way how to kick the watchdog (Avalon MM IP must be inplemented for this) 

But when trying to generate programming file I can not select watchdog - it is greyed out. I read somewhere that dual congiguration file compressed must be used, But I can only select single conf file. I can not add second programming file as 

suggested somweher else. 

ALTERA, please respond!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

does anybody know how to contact altera support? I do not mean pdf files.... it seems they do not have a living creature on their support office???

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Pppffff!!! you'r joking right? altera does not care for single ****roaches like us. they support only the big boys with tens of thousands of $$$ IC purchase. you have to register as their loyal customer company and only then, they will attach you to one of their support teams. this "ALTERA, please respond!" was a funniest thing i have ever seen on this forum. HELLO! THEY DON"T CARE!  

you need to set your project to dual configuration in order to use a watchdog because if one conf image is errorous; and fails to load; -watchdog timer will count up to a certain value(set by you) and it will autorestart the system to try reconfiguring from a neighboring conf image. thus, preventing the max10 to stall even if you loaded a wrong conf image (because it will self - reconfigure from a backup image). 

it would take you to open up a very big company to get this answer from them :) -or! it would take you to open up a MAX 10 FPGA User Guide documentation and read the page 482 headlined "User Watchdog Timer" https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/m10_handbook.pdf
0 Kudos