Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Making a block diagram and I get the error "missing source signal"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Quartus Prime Lite Edition. The error I'm receiving is; 

Error (275044): Port "datab[3..0]" of type multiplier of instance "inst" is missing source signal 

I've checked my block diagram over and over and all of the connections are there. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please see attached image. 

Cheers.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All of your signals are missing drivers and proper connections. You cannot just connect a load of single bits to a bus like that - how does the compiler know which signals to connect to which bits in the bus?  

You need to use named assiciation to connect bus slices or single bits. You need to disconnect all of the ports, and then label the bus signal and the signal that connects to the ports.
0 Kudos
chandramouli
Beginner

how can i solve missing source signal" error 

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

For these errors, it looks like you've got a "rogue" wire that is messing up the connections as well as missing signal wire names.  Draw a selection box around pins where you have the little dots and x's and delete the extra little wires and fix the connection. 

For the signal naming issues, for example, you have a 2 bit bus (B[1..0]) and then a single bit wire going into inst13.  If only one bit of the B bus is to go into inst13, you need to add a signal label to that wire (named B[1]) for example.  This type of fix is required in a number of locations.