Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20643 Discussions

Matlab - Assertion failed! error - when calling alt_signaltap_run

Melissa_M
Beginner

Hi,  

I'm trying to capture data from the signal tap logic analyzer into Matlab.  I'm using Quartus Prime standard 20.1 and Matlab R2020b.  See attached image for the error.  You can see I'm adding the path where the alt_signaltap_run is located.  Then I run the script where the command is called.  I get the error, which basically terminates my entire session of matlab.  Does anyone have an idea how to get this to work?

Thaks,

P.S: This is something I've done many times in the past with an Windows 7 machine and Quartus II 13.1.  I think I used a 32 bit version of Malab back then because the 64 bit would actually not work with this command.  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

To better assist you, could you please do let me know the following info?

1. Are you using DSP BUILDER?
  2. Could you please refer to the following KDB solution if this is helpful? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd05112014_135.html

Regards -SK Lim

0 Kudos
Melissa_M
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I don't have DSP builder.  Can I not read data from the signal tap without having the DSP builder blockset for matlab?   Because I use to be able to do this with Quartus II 13.1 and Matlab R2010b.  

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

This is not required to have the DSP Builder for this case.

Does the KDB solution helpful to you?

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
Melissa_M
Beginner

Hi,

The KDB solution is confusing:  I am using 20.1 and it's for Quartus 13.1.  But I have no bin directory and no dsp_builder directory.  It also refers to dspba and dsp_builder.bat, which I don't have, which is why I assumed it relies on dsp builder.  How do I follow these steps in light of what I just described?

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, I understand that the KDB is NOT relevant. To confirm if this is the Matlab/Quartus version related, does the older Matlab version (R2010b or R2013a) works well with Quartus 20.1 standard version?

Regards -SK 

0 Kudos
Melissa_M
Beginner

Hi,

Unfortunately, I cannot get R2010b to work on my windows 10 machine.  Matlab claims it is likely because Win 10 doesn't support any version below R2015.  I did try running Quartus II 13.1 and Matlab R2020b, but that didn't work either.   At this point, I don't know what more I can do..  Does this work for anyone?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Melissa,

According to link below, some recommended Quartus version from Mathwork. Could you try to use Quartus Prime Standard 18.1 and Matlab R2020b together and see if it works ?

mathworks.com/help/supportpkg/alterafpgaboards/ug/supported-eda-tools-and-hardware.html

Thanks,

Regards

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Melissa,

Any update regarding this?

0 Kudos