Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

Max10 - Quartus: no dual boot option avaliable

fogl
Novice

Hello everybody,

1. I would like to test max10 dual boot option. I was following the tutorila: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/uploads/5/56/Using_Dual_Boot_MAX_10_Develpoment_Kit.pdf (page 5) which shows dual boot option.

But there is no such option when i try to select this (please see image below). Only single image is available. Why is that?

2. I did not connect the config_sel pin on my PCB. The config_sel pin is floating. Can i configure the device with pull up/down to select desired image? I would like to start the "boot loader" design first and after few seconds (if no update is loaded), load real design. How can i achieve this?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jozephka99
New Contributor II

I try myself with the same device and I couldn't see dual options either. Then I search a bit an found it is because 'SC' series of max10 don't support dual features. Probably because of lack of flash elements. The relevant pictures attached below. As you can see SCs very few flash memory compare the others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Are you using a 10M02 device?  As noted, that one does not support this feature.

0 Kudos
fogl
Novice
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Hmm, what version of Quartus is that?  Very strange that the option is not there.

As for the config_sel question, that pin is only used to select the initial image to use.  After initial device programming, your control mechanism, like a Nios processor, can be used to switch the image.

0 Kudos
fogl
Novice

I am using Quartus Prime Version 19.1.0 Build 670 09/22/2019 SJ Lite Edition. It is installed on linux machine.

Regards

Klemen

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

Did you select your device properly? And for config_sel pin, like @sstrell  said if you power off and on your device it configures from config_sel pin's selection. If you gonna implement a remote system upgrade you should upgrade the CFM section regard to config_sel pin's logic level so when you power up again it begins from your upgraded image. 

0 Kudos
fogl
Novice

I selected the device with Assignments->Device menu. Please see image attached. The Compilation Report also shows the same device after compilation process.

Is there also some other way to select or to check if the device was properly selected?

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

I try myself with the same device and I couldn't see dual options either. Then I search a bit an found it is because 'SC' series of max10 don't support dual features. Probably because of lack of flash elements. The relevant pictures attached below. As you can see SCs very few flash memory compare the others.

0 Kudos
fogl
Novice

I see, thank you for your help

I don't know why is there still a config_sel pin on this device if it has no sense...

Regards

Klemen

0 Kudos