Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Monitoring Output from Cyclone IVGX

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I have a CycloneIVGX board (Onboard a Terasic De2i-150) and the problem I have encountered seems a very novice (nonetheless). I have a simple counter module that is continuously generating output (32 bit values that is). I wanted some form to observe the output physically so I thought of the following 

(a) Onboard LCD display/LEDs:- Discarded as output generation frequency is considerably higher to support their refresh 

(b) Redirecting the output to an external port and using oscilloscope to monitor the plot:- No headway owing to lack of resources on the web. Starting to believe, such a thing is not possible at all. (But I did believe till now that I'd redirect the output to a GPIO and monitor using the scope). 

(c) Also stumbled upon a method of using LABVIEW with a proprietary card which may be connected to FPGA for such requirements:- Discarded, on account of not having access to any additional resources 

(d) Having a NIOSII core output it to a text file and later analyse the dump. 

Since My hands on experience on FPGAs is very less, I wanted to seek advice which of the methods should I focus to read/study on to resolve my problem.  

Thanks in anticipation
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi I have a CycloneIVGX board (Onboard a Terasic De2i-150) and the problem I have encountered seems a very novice (nonetheless). I have a simple counter module that is continuously generating output (32 bit values that is). I wanted some form to observe the output physically so I thought of the following 

Do you use SignalTap II? This is part of the software that comes with Quartus II it builds a logic analyzer inside the FPGA that you are building. It outputs a chart very much like a logic analyzer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhkzxcexuaa 

Or if you really want to see the signal with external software but don't really need to see all 32 bits you could try this low cost product: 

https://www.saleae.com/ 

Best of luck. 

Kevin Kibbe
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Didn't know about either. 

Will definitely give it a try and revert back!! Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Didn't know about either. 

Will definitely give it a try and revert back!! Thanks!!! 

--- Quote End ---  

How did you make out with your research into the logic analyzer? I think you will find that the best thing to do is learn how to use the built in free Signalink logic analyzer.  

Regards, 

Kevin
0 Kudos