Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Motor control FPGA

Gerry81
Beginner

Hello,

i am looking for an FPGA for a 3 axis CNC.
This should communicate with a microcontroller via SPI.

The following should be installed:
- 2x motor 3-phase linear encoder axis with sin/cos encoder (2x ADC each)
- PI controller for these 2 motors
- 4x stepper motor (PWM)
- Current measurement for the 6 motors (total 12 xADC)

I thought about using one of the two FPGA's:
Intel® Cyclone® 10
or
Intel® Cyclone® IV E

The launch date for the Intel® Cyclone® IV is 2009. How much longer will this FPGA be available?

I would appreciate if you could help me which chip to use for a new design,
kind regards
Gerry81

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Definitely Cyclone 10.  It could probably even be a Cyclone 10 LP.

Why is the old Cyclone IV on your list of options?  Cost?

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi Gerry81,

Cyclone® IV still active and available. Anyhow, the life cycle is depending on its order volume and they are considered as old devices. Hence they are not recommended for new design as they might be EOL soon.

You can subscribe to our customer notification mailing list at the below link so that you can be notified when an Altera device is going to be discontinued.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/soluti...

Generally, you are recommended to use the newest Cyclone devices for your design. There are low-end versions of the Cyclone V E and the Cyclone 10 LP that can consider as well. Please check the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/programmable/cyclone-series.html

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that we provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II

I think you'll find the Cyclone IV parts are much more available.  I just did a new design using them for that very reason.

0 Kudos