Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20690 Discussions

PCIe reference clock requirement while programing the fpga.

OrF
Employee

Hi 

we are using  stx10 1SM21BHU2F53E2VG and 1SG10MHN3F74C2LG  at both there is PCIe IP 

altera_xcvr_native_s10_htile

we encounter an error while programing the fpga , if the 100Mhz  reference clock  is not supplied from the HOST at the programing stage .

is there any way to program the FPGA without the ref clock , and supply it only after programing ?

in details: the new computers does not supply the reference clock if they does not detect pcie device , therefore the programing of the FPGA fails , on the other hand , we can not program the FPGA since it seems that it does not receive the ref clock - any idea how to solve this deadlock ? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wchiah
Employee

Hi,

Do you mean to connect the refclk pin to internal FPGA generated clock? The input reference clock, refclk, must be stable and free-running at device powerup for a successful device configuration.

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi,

I wish to follow up with you about this case.

Do you have any further questions on this matter ?

​​​​​​​Else I would like to have your permission to close this forum ticket

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

this is not answer my question , I was taking about the stage of programing the fpga not on the stage of activating the PCIe with the host. 

I will bring more accurate snapshoot about the error . 

Or. 

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi,

Appreciate if you can provide me any error code so that we can look deeper on that.

Regards,
Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi,

I wish to follow up with you about this case.

​​​​​​​Else I would like to have your permission to close this forum ticket

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

Hi , 

I'm trying to collect more data and snapshoot to in order to provide more details about the issue .

the issue is complex to explain - 

in general , the once the REF clock of the PCIe is not working , the programing/burning the fpga and the  of the PCIe Serdes (the Phy) is not done .

if it is better to close this issue , and later on I will open new one , or this one , it is ok from my side.

thanks

Or. 

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi

Thanks for your permission to close this case.

Hence, This thread will be transitioned to community support.

If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts.

Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

If you feel your support experience was less than a 9 or 10,

please allow me to correct it before closing or let me know the cause so that I may improve your future support experience.

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos