Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

PLL is not working in Cylcone V GX (Using Integer PLL)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have designed Customised board using Cyclone V GX FPGA. 

I have fed 25MHz oscillator to non-dedicated clock pin in FPGA. 

So i had incorporated ALCLKCTRL. 

The design flow 25MHz -> altclkctrl ip -> altpll 

In this case pll not locked and therefore no pll output 

I have attached schematic file.  

Please support.https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13877&stc=1
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Referring to the 'clock control block (altclkctrl) ip core user guide (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altclock.pdf)', only certain signals can drive the inclk port - those being: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Clock pins, clock outputs from the PLL, and core signals can drive the inclk[] port. 

--- Quote End ---  

'Ordinary' I/O pins cannot be connected to the ALTCLKCTRL inclk port. So, if your design ran through Quartus successfully, I suspect you've not got things connected up as you think - which may explain why the PLL isn't locking. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi alex, 

thanks for your reply. 

i can't figure out the thing why the pll is not locking. 

Have you refered those schematic files attached 

Is there anything wrong with schematics attached.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you must use a non-dedicated clock input pin, have you tried connecting to the PLL first instead of the clock control block? Why are you doing it in this order?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes - I looked at the bits of schematics you attached. The problem is, if you want to use a PLL, you're feeding your clock into the wrong pin. The PLL cannot be fed by that pin. 

Using an ALTCLKCTRL block won't help as it can't be fed by a clock going into the pin you've chosen. This IP block should be fed by the output of a PLL, not the other way round. 

You need to modify the board to either: a) feed the clock into a dedicated clock pin; or b) add a wire loop on your board between an unused I/O pin and a dedicated clock pin and feed your clock signal out of that I/O pin so that the clock is fed to a dedicated clock pin. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos