Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

POF file format specification

LZANU
Novice

Hello all,

I'm a IC support engineer.

I would like to understand better the POF file format in order to support the 10M08SA device.

I found the fmt_pof.pdf, but it provides just a short overview.

Is there any other document available?

For example, the packet with tag 17 (Logical address and data32) has an additional header of 12 bytes. It should be composed as follows:

long address;

short ?;

long size_in_bits;

short ?;

Is it correct?

Which is the meaning of the two short fields?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi LZANU,

The is no other document available for details explanation on POF file format. I'm apologize for inconvenience.

Basically, the POF file is used to program an external flash device configuration, like a flash or EEPROM device (maintain its contents once power is disconnected)

And SOF file is used to programs the FPGA fabric directly (FPGA is SRAM cell). (its contents not maintain once power is disconnected)

Cheers

0 Kudos
LZANU
Novice

Hi ShafiqY,

Thank you for your reply.

If I am not wrong the Max 10 family provides also an internal flash memory (CFM and UFM) to be programmed. In fact, Quartus programmer allows to program it once the pof file si loaded (please see the attached screenshot).

What can I do to have such information? If I open a support case, then they suggest to ask the community.

Quartus_programmer_max10.png

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi LZANU,

Yes, you're right. MAX 10 Family have internal flash memory.(you no need to buy extra flash :) )

max 10 internal flash.JPG

If you program the POF file, the design maintain its contents once power is disconnected

If you program the SOF file, the design do not maintain its contents once power is disconnected

If you have a concern about UFM & CFM, you may refer to this link (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_ufm.pdf)

Basically, the size of UFM smaller compare to CFM.

ufm cfm size.JPG

If you have any specific question, you can ask here.

Cheers

0 Kudos
LZANU
Novice

Hi ShafiqY,

Anyway, my question was about the POF format (especially on the packet with tag 17). Who should I ask for such information?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

You aren't going to get much of an answer from Altera/Intel on the POF file format without an NDA.

That being said, this document: http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/dataio/2900/2939u_book1.pdf provides as detailed a description of the POF file format as exists in public.

Look under 'Translation Formats' for the POF Code 14 section.

What you won't find tho is detailed per device descriptions of the format of type 17 records. Only Altera/Intel can give you that.

0 Kudos
LZANU
Novice

I'll open a new ticket in order to proceed with an NDA if needed.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Okay.

Thanks

0 Kudos
LZANU
Novice

I can provide the CNDA number now if needed.

Could you please share a detailed document on the POF format?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi LZANU,

I sent a private message to you.

Please check your inbox.

Thanks

0 Kudos