Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Power saving techniques for FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Can someone share experence about power saving in FPGA designs?  

I am facing power consumption and heat disipation problems. I tried disabling clocks but that gives very litle diference in power consumption. What else could be done to reduce power consumption?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is not easy to optimize for power. Perhaps for a start you can check against the EPE to have an idea of static vs dynamic power distribution - just to estimate the potential reduction that can be done on the dynamic side. For static, if you device supports it, turn on the PowerPlay power optimization to normal/extra effort. Then, on the programmable power technology optimization, select the one that fits your design requirement.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It is not easy to optimize for power. Perhaps for a start you can check against the EPE to have an idea of static vs dynamic power distribution - just to estimate the potential reduction that can be done on the dynamic side. For static, if you device supports it, turn on the PowerPlay power optimization to normal/extra effort. Then, on the programmable power technology optimization, select the one that fits your design requirement. 

--- Quote End ---  

Can you provide any hint on where to start with EPE? I have never used it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can you provide any hint on where to start with EPE? I have never used it. 

--- Quote End ---  

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_epe.pdf 

Use Processing->PowerPlay Power Analyzer Tool to write a EPE file, which you then import to the spreadsheet so you can play with "what if" scenarios.
0 Kudos