Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Problem when programming Cyclone V (DE1-SoC)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I`ve recently received a DE1-SoC with a Cyclone V 5CSEMA5F31C6N. I've tried program it by three different Quartus versions (13.0sp1, 13.1 -web edition- and 15.1-prime lite edition- ) and i've found two problems:  

1.- It takes too much time to compile. (5 minutes to compilate an AND gate). 

2.- When I use the programming tool, y get ready my .sof file as Users Guide says, but when i click "Start" button, i get the "Failed" message at the progress bar. I've tried to program a .jic file instead of the .sof file, but i've got the same result. 

Cheers, 

PD: To discard possibilities, i have USB drivers correctly installed, and my PC works correctly when programing Cyclone II (DE2).
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1) 5 min is normal time.. Have you tried to create SDC file with constraints? Without SDC it try to maximize frequency (1ghz default) and fail. 

2) Bad sign.. what message do you get into processing / system output window? Have you set DIP switch correctly?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1) i'll look to the SCD file constraints. 

2) Looking at the processing / system output window, i realized that there was a problem of the JTAG id. That was caused because I was switching the elements in the diagram block which appears in the programming tool, so it coudn´t detect the device. Now, I can program it normally. 

Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

i have a same proleme like you .i work with the same carte (cyclone V 5csema5f31c6n) .but when i would like to choose the id of my cyclone i have just 5csema5f31c6 without n. so the result of programming is always "failed" 

can you help me please  

:confused:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Bonjour tous le monde . 

je fais appel à vos connaissances, je voudrai implémenter une image Sur FPGA , je travail sur Quartus. 

mon idée est la suivante :  

utiliser un fichier .mif ou je stocke mon image. et j’utilise ce fichier dans une Ram. 

Alors je cherche un code que me permet de binariser une image RGB n'importe matlab ou vhdl l'important le résultats soit des 0 et des 1 pour la stocker mon fichier MIF. 

Voila un petit code que j'ai trouver sur net mais ça n'a pas marché  

%mcode to create a mif file 

src = imread('lena.jpg'); 

gray = rgb2gray(src); 

[m,n] = size( gray ); %size od your picture 

N = m*n; %your ram or rom depth? 

word_len = 8;  

data = reshape(gray, 1, N);% reshape you picture's data 

fid=fopen('gray_image.mif', 'w'); % open mif file  

fprintf(fid, 'DEPTH=%d;\n', N); 

fprintf(fid, 'WIDTH=%d;\n', word_len); 

fprintf(fid, 'ADDRESS_RADIX = UNS;\n');  

fprintf(fid, 'DATA_RADIX = HEX;\n');  

fprintf(fid, 'CONTENT\t'); 

fprintf(fid, 'BEGIN\n'); 

for i = 0 : N-1 

fprintf(fid, '\t%d\t:\t%x;\n',i, data(i+1)); 

end 

fprintf(fid, 'END;\n'); % prinf the end 

fclose(fid); % close your file 

merci d'avance .
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

i have a same proleme like you .i work with the same carte (cyclone V 5csema5f31c6n) .but when i would like to choose the id of my cyclone i have just 5csema5f31c6 without n. so the result of programming is always "failed" 

can you help me please  

:confused: 

--- Quote End ---  

Perhaps the following may help. A small integration to both the DE1-SoC User manual (sect. 3.2, pp. 16-18) and the University Program tutorial (Quartus_II_introduction, sect. 9.2, pp. 33-34) is necessary, to let the Programmer not fail the JTAG programming of the FPGA. 

Figure 3.5 in the DE1-SoC User manual displays the 5CSEMA5 device at the end of the JTAG chain but, after having loaded the .sof file, this device should be replaced by the 5CSEMA5F31 device, as in Figure 3.8 and in the tutorial Figure 41. It actually happens that the latter device is appended to the JTAG chain, but the 5CSEMA5 device is not replaced... pressing the Start button leads to failure (see top-right progress window). 

Solution: delete the 5CSEMA5 device from the JTAG chain, before pressing the Start button.
0 Kudos
DCárd
Beginner

I have the same problem, the thing is that I already did the steps you give but still stays in "Failed" in the progress bar. The device is already replaced with the 5CSEMA5F31. What more can I do?

0 Kudos