Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Problem with SOPC to QSys Migration

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone! I'm extremely new with the Quartus Software, and I'm assisting a person with simple tasks. I was asked to investigate how to migrate SOPC to Qsys, which I did and eventhough I had never used the software before, it seemed pretty easy. I watched the video tutorial in Altera; however, I'm having a problem (it's probably a quick fix thing, but like I said before, I have never used neither Quartus nor Qsys). The video tutorial explains that in order to migrate SOPC Builder to Qsys, first and foremost i have to launch Qsys, click on File, then OPEN and select an existing sopc file. My problem is that whenever I Clic open, my computer only searches for .qsys files, and all of the other files including the .sopc that I cannot be chosen, because they are not displayed. I have the actual file in my computer, but whenever I click FILE and then OPEN on Qsys, the file won't show because my laptop only displays .qsys files and I CANNOT change this option, meaning that I cannot open the .sopc file. Like I said, I'm new to all of this, I hope that you guys can help me with this problem! Thank you in advance and have a nice day 

I'll leave you the files that my boss (the person I'm assisting) wants to migrate, so that you can tell me if it is actually possible!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You didn't say what version of quartus you are using, but I've notice that the latest version doesn't open sopc files. The two files you have there look like demo project files for the DE2-70 development board. These are usually simple and should be easy enough to re-create from scratch directly in Qsys.  

You could try some older versions of Quartus that can still open sopc file and convert them to Qsys.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For QSYS V.15: 

Just rename the .sopc file to .qsys. This should do the trick. 

Edit: 

Of course you have to check your components. I lost all external_connection settings but the internal settings stayed the same.
0 Kudos