Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20725 Discussions

Processor type Intel/AMD

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everybody 

I want to ask you, for all case, is there any constraint about processor type for Quartus II software.  

Can I utilise Quartus II softwere with AMD processors? 

Thank you very much, 

Bojan 

:rolleyes:
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus II is a software which uses native Altera libraries, so it synthesizes hardware on the basis of true physical resources mapped in some libraries. I really don't know how you can target such devices with an Altera native tool.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I think that my question is badly posed. I want to know can I use Altera DE1 board with Quartus II software on my computer which is equipped with AMD processor and Windows XP? 

Sorry for incomprehansion. 

Bojan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:) Ah yes, I could also try to understand better... 

In our lab we have 2 PCs with this configuration (Win XP Professional) correctly working with Quartus II 7.2.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And what about processor type? Intel/AMD... it does not metters or it does? 

Thank you very much! 

Bojan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We really did not find any special differences using Intel or AMD, apart from processor-specific parameters like speed and memory-addressability, so compilation and mapping time can vary depending on processor performances, but no direct implication with Quartus II functionality.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus II is just a software program. You can run it on any machine provided it uses one of the supported operating systems and has sufficient memory. 

As far as a comparison. Obviously the more processing power you have, the faster the software will perform. You will notice a huge difference in compile times by using a multi-processor/multi-core machine versus a single core. 

Presently my machine houses a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 and performs quite well. I've also run Quartus on a dual-processor AMD Opteron machine which performed comparably to the Core 2 Duo. For a short time I ran on a single 3.0GHz Pentium D in which compile times were about 3 times longer then the other two machines. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, I think that my question is badly posed. I want to know can I use Altera DE1 board with Quartus II software on my computer which is equipped with AMD processor and Windows XP? 

Sorry for incomprehansion. 

Bojan 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Bojan, 

do you have a problem with the board and your PC or you only want to be sure ?
0 Kudos