Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

Programming Issue with Active Serial Programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We are trying to program a EP1C12Q240C8N device using Quartus II 6.0 Web on a Windows 7 PC with the Byte Blaster II programmer. Getting a cannot recognize silicon device ID error. The programming operation works fine on another device on the board using JTAG. We have tried a sample board that was previously programmed and also get the same error. My first inclination is to order another programmer, although I'm not sure why it would work with JTAG in one case and not with ASP in another. However, before I order another programmer, should I upgrade to more recent hardware? From what I can ascertain, 11.0 would be the latest version that supports this device, unless I'm misinterpreting something. Should I also use a USB connected device rather than a parallel port programmer?  

Thanks! 

Blair
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Assuming you want to Programm the Serial configuration EEPROM via active Serial programming, this device for sure cannot be detected as not being on the JTAG chain, thus there is no Silicon ID to be recognized...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Which programming cable are you using? ByteBlaster II is the first one supporting AS programming mode, older ByteBlaster misses the respective signals. 

You can also use JTAG indirect programming method, but I don't know if it's already implemented in Quartus V6. You can however convert the Quartus V6 programming file in a newer version, e.g. Quartus V9.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Carl - thanks for your reply. Active Serial Programming is selected as the programming mode, program, verify and blank check are selected and Quartus V6 reports the silicon ID error. Should it not be checking for a silicon ID, and is doing so because of a setting error? 

FvM - thanks for your reply - yes, we are using the Bye Blaster II adapter. I suspect it may have suffered a failure in one of the signals associated with ASP, as it does JTAG programming on other devices on this assembly without any issues. I will probably need to replace it, but was wondering if I should continue using the parallel optin, or is there a USB version that works as well or better? 

Blair
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Byte Blaster II is a bit slow, but it can AS program. I switched to USB Blaster 10 years ago. 

Not sure if the Quartus V6 Byte Blaster driver works under Windows 7.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, ok - even in AS, when the programmer tries to start programming there is an ID check for the EEPROM (missed this as I worked more with JTAG in the last time).  

Thus there really seems to be something wrong with the "AS Pins". As more and more the PC (at least Notebooks) miss all ports except USB, I'd go with an USB Blaster :-)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks to both of you for your help. I am having trouble determining if the USB Blaster will work with the version of Quartus that supports this older device. From what I can tell, this is first generation Cyclone, and 11.1 is the latest version that can be used. The USB Blaster II requires version 14. The USB Blaster does not specify the version, so perhaps it would work with 6, or 11.1? The download cables aren't cheap, even though it isn't my money, I would rather not spend the company's money on something that may not work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus programmer (either of the full Quartus installation or the stand alone programmer) can program old devices that are not supported for synthesis.  

Just load the programing file (*.pof, *.jic) in programmer after setting JTAG or AS mode and everything is setup as required.
0 Kudos