Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Programming MAX7000E

Dima7
Beginner

Hello!

The device EPM7128ELC84 - 15 does not have an JTAG interface.

How can I program it?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

You will need a third party programmer (like from EEtools or Xeltek, for example) that can program FPGAs using a specific adapter socket for that device (in your case a PLCC 84 package).

Typical cost new today will be in the $1000 - $1500 range total for programmer and adapter.

So unless you have a piece of legacy hardware that absolutely requires you using the EPM7128E device, or you have literally hundreds of EPM7128E devices laying around that you need to program, I would recommend you toss those in the recycle bin. It won't be cost effective to use it.

Go source some EPM7128S devices in PLCC84 that can be programmed by JTAG and get a $50 USB Blaster clone from TerAsic and use that. That is what I do for my EPM7128 based design.

0 Kudos
Dima7
Beginner
0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can use MPU in order to program the device. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ds/dspghd.pdf on External Programming Hardware inforamtion.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

The Altera PL6/MPU has been obsolete for years. Good luck with that.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I understand that but unfortunately the Max 700 device is already EOL as well.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

It is certainly true the MAX7000E series is EOL (ie, can't buy new parts from Intel/Altera) but that does not mean folks don't have either legacy hardware or tube(s) of NOS parts they want to try and use.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I understand but unfortunately we do not have the MPU anymore.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

That is why I referred to the third party programmer tools. They are available new today and are able to support programming the MAX7000E series parts should someone need to do that.

I get it that as an Intel employee you only ever recommend an Intel produced solution (ie, the MPU). But that is not always in the best interests of your customers and this is a customer forum.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your feedback.

0 Kudos