Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20677 Discussions

Qsys Hangs When Adding Module

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I am very new to using Qsys at this time. I have bought the Cyclone V SoC Development Kit recently. And I have found that Qsys hangs as I was trying to add the Cyclone V Hard Processor System. 

I have attached a snapshot here as well. 

Can I ask you if something is missing on my system ?? am I missing a license or something ?? Or at least, what can I do to find out the root cause and how to fix or work-around this issue ?? 

Thanks, 

TH
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have just found out that Qsys also hangs when I was trying to open a system (i.e. soc_system.qsys) as well. 

Can I ask you if something is missing on my system ?? am I missing a license or something ?? Or at least, what can I do to find out the root cause and how to fix or work-around this issue ?? 

Thanks, 

TH
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello th_altera_forum, 

In these kind of questions additional info (Operating system / Quartus version can be of use) 

Did you install the Quartus / Qsys version from the cd in the box or did you install the latest version downloaded from the altera web site ? 

Q17 runs stable on my system. (Win7) 

You might consider trying to open or compile a tutorial to see if the problem comes from your application or from the system code. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Johi, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I installed Quartus (Quartus Prime 17.0) Standard Edition from the lastest version downloaded from the Altera website. 

Because when I bought the kit, it said in the welcome letter that "Note that CDs and DVDs are not included with this kit...". Is there a difference between the DVD versus the web-install ?? 

Currently, Q17 is running on my Windows 10 Home Edition. So, do you think this could be the issue ?? 

And yes, I was trying to follow a tutorial when I first found out the issue. So, is it due to the system code then ?? If so, does it mean that I have to get the DVD and/or switch to Win7 (i.e. Home or Pro) ?? 

Thanks, 

TH
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello th_altera_forum 

I worked for months with version 16, it did not hang once. 

A few days ago I installed Q17. 

Today Q17 hung 2 times during download of FPGA and 2 times with Qsys. 

If this continues I go back to 16.0 or 16.1. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Johi, 

I have just found out that I had to use "Quartus II 15.0 Web Edition" for my Cyclone V SoC Development Kit. It works now.  

Thanks, 

Have a nice day, 

TH.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is your Java up to date? Qsys uses Java, so if it's not the latest for a version of Qsys, you could run into issues like this. Going back to 15.0 worked because the older version may be OK with an older version of Java.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi sstrell, 

I need to check my Java update then... 

Thanks, 

Have a nice day, 

TH
0 Kudos