Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Quartus commands executed while working with Quartus GUI

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all 

I would like to automate my work using the Quartus commands executed when i use the Quartus GUI 

For Example :  

Step 1: I will open the signal tap file using Quartus  

Step 2: I will change the format from hex to binary  

Step 3 : I will save again the signal tap 

I would like to view what commands are executed for doing the above action in Quartus, So that i will automate my work using these commands 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I don't understand why you want to "convert HEX to BINARY" in signaltap files ? 

Do you want to automatically convert the format from hex to binary in multiple signaltap files ? 

1. You can launch signaltap by using command lines : read abaout "scripting" in quartus help 

But I don't think you can convert in signaltap files by command line :-( 

2. Signaltap files are XML files. They are editable with a 'simple' text editor. 

you could change the format in those files by replacing text. But you have to find which text is used for that. 

If you want to automate the process,  

First backup your signaltap files 

3. easy way, most interactive, but not fully automated, you can 'search & replace in multiple documents' by using a editor able to do this : notepad++, PSPAD, Crimson... 

4. hard way but fast, you can use the 'sed' command available in "nios ii command shell" if you are at ease with "linux" shell commands. you are not obliged to work in linux 

5. hard way, have to backup, have to learn lots of things, spend time to elaborate, not secure, have to test before use, You can also do it in TCL script : open file one by one, search and replace text 

[/LIST]
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thankyou for the reply 

"Do you want to automatically convert the format from hex to binary in multiple signaltap files ?" 

I was given multiple signaltap files(having acquired data) for analysis, 

My work procedure is as wollows  

1) convert the signaltap II files(having acquired data) from hex to binary  

2) save the signaltap.stp  

3) Create a signaltap II list file which is a txt file  

I use this text file for analysis in Matlab  

But since i was given many signal tap files for analysis , i think automating of creation of signaltapII list file would be helpful to reduce my task 

Also i am thinking that for every action we do in Quartus GUI should have a script running in the background 

So i want to see these scripts executed to automate my work  

May be the solution you provided can help me to change the stp from hex to bin but i cannot extract the signaltap list file for analysis
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I hardly understand :  

You want to extract "data log" from signaltap files, don't you ? 

For this, you can use MATLAB MEX function, see design debugging using the signaltap ii embedded logic analyzer chapter of the quartus ii handbook (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53009.pdf) I don't know this tool. 

Or you can "export" "data log" to .CSV by script (precisely TCL script) :  

see http://quartushelp.altera.com/current/mergedprojects/tafs/tafs/tcl_pkg_stp_ver_1.0_cmd_export_data_log.htm 

You write a tcl script (text file for example "myscript.tcl") for quartus stp which looks like :  

# package require (I add this) package require ::quartus::stp # opens signaltap session open_session -name stp1.stp # capture data to log named log1, timeout after 5 seconds if no trigger occurs run -instance auto_signaltap_0 -signal_set signal_set_1 -trigger trigger_1 -data_log log_1 -timeout 5 # export data into a VCD file (I have corrected the command) export_data_log -instance auto_signaltap_0 -signal_set signal_set_1 -trigger trigger_1 -data_log log_1 -filename log_1.vcd -format vcd # close signaltap session close_session  

Save the file to your signaltap file directory 

In a standard Windows terminal,  

go to your signaltap file directory 

and type : "quartus_stp -t myscript.tcl" 

I haven't tried things like this, So no warranty. 

This is for ONE stp file. If you want to automate the process for multiple file you had to run the script for each file, many ways to do this (possible in tcl script but if you don't know TCL scripting, you will spend a lot of hard hours). If you really want, I could answer. 

Good luck !!
0 Kudos
NuvKFC
New Contributor I

Hi Altera_Forum, sorry to bother you. Could you please tell whether "open_session" command can open SignalTapII GUI, and the user can use this SignalTapII GUI to add nodes? Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thankyou for the suggestion and your time  

Once after anlaysing it i will provide the feedback 

Thankyou
0 Kudos
NuvKFC
New Contributor I

Hi Altera_Forum, sorry to bother you. Could you please tell whether "open_session" command can open SignalTapII GUI, and the user can use this SignalTapII GUI to add nodes? Thank you very much.

0 Kudos