Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Question Regarding to the MAX V eval board.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am new user try to run my simple test on Altera Max V eval kit. I wrote a simple code want to verify a simple function: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12665&stc=1  

in file counter.v 

module counter( CLOCK_10KHZ, counter_out, RESET); input CLOCK_10KHZ; input RESET; output counter_out; reg counter_out; always @(posedge CLOCK_10KHZ) begin if (!RESET) begin //Reset button is not pushed counter_out <=# 1 ~(counter_out + 1); //increment counter, neg light up the LED, and pos turn off end else begin counter_out <=# 1 ~16'b0; end end endmodule  

When I push the reset button, the LED goes off, that proved clock trigger signal is correct, however, after I release the PB1, all LEDs still on and didn't change status(It suppose to light up and turn off while counter increasing). 

Platform: Windows 7,64bit, Quartus Prime Lite Edition 16.0. MAX V Eval Board 

Could anyone take a look what might be wrong with my program?  

Thank you!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

counter_out <=# 1 ~(counter_out + 1);This is not doing what you want it too and is just resulting in 'counter_out' holding a static value (both in and out of reset). 

I might suggest that you've not simulated this. Doing so would have quickly pointed out your fault. 

Firstly, remove the "#1" from your code. This means nothing to your MAX V device or any logic synthesizer. 

Secondly, change the above statement to a simple 

counter_out <= counter_out + 1; 

Then, outside of that always block, deal with the inversion that the LEDs on your hardware require. 

assign led = ~counter_out; 

Finally, swap 'led' for 'counter_out' in your module's port list. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos