Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

Reloading User Flash Memory without recompiling

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've got a soft-core CPU working onboard the Bemicro MAX 10 FPGA eval board. This is not NIOS II. The CPU boots code out of the User Flash Memory. After I reassemble and convert to .MIF, I need to reload the User Flash memory. The only way thus far that I've figured out how to do this is to recompile the whole solution. 

This is inconvenient and time-consuming because the rest of the hardware is not changing at all. 

is it possible just reload the on-fpga flash memory without doing a complete recompile? 

Is there some way I can call a script that would force a recompile? So at least I'd have a single button reassemble/convert/recompilation available? 

Thanks 

Keith
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For NIOS II, if the program is in on-chip memory, you can use the option "update memory initialization file" in the Processing menu.  

I think the same can be applied for any ram (if your processor exists in a RAM) that has an initialization file. 

After you click "update memory initialization file", you run the assembler only to generate the SOF.
0 Kudos