Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Reset in ALTREMOTE IP (Arria 10)

Fpedga
Novice

Hello,

(My other thread was closed before I could reply.)

I'm using ALTREMOTE IP in my Arria 10 project. I have followed these 2 recommendations in the User guide:

- Input clock of 20 MHz

- Asynchronous reset input to the IP core to initialize the machine to a valid state. The machine must be reset before first use, otherwise the state is not guaranteed to be valid.

My question is, is there any requirement (not mentioned in the doc) about the duration of the asynchronous reset? In my tests, I have tried 2 different resets (applied on power up): one that is ~25 us long and another one that is ~500 ms long. It only worked with the 500ms reset (I still have to narrow down the minimum duration for it to properly work); when using the 25us reset, the result of reading Reconfiguration Trigger Conditions parameter is incorrect.

I'm using a 32-bit counter running at 20 MHz. I'm holding ALTREMOTE IP in reset until counter reaches value 10772980; that would result in a 10772980 * (1/20e6) = 538.649 ms reset

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi, the time to do reset shouldnt be that long. May i know how are you determining the reset? You are doing it on modelsim or actual hardware?

0 Kudos
Fpedga
Novice

I'm testing it on actual hardware and checking the duration with the oscilloscope

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Is it possible to test with simple design with only the remote IP and see if you still see this issue or not? Also for this statement, "when using the 25us reset, the result of reading Reconfiguration Trigger Conditions parameter is incorrect.", may i know which parameter you are referring to?

0 Kudos
Fpedga
Novice

@YuanLi_S_Intel wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to test with simple design with only the remote IP and see if you still see this issue or not?

I can try what you suggest, will let you know when I got the results.

@YuanLi_S_Intel wrote:

Also for this statement, "when using the 25us reset, the result of reading Reconfiguration Trigger Conditions parameter is incorrect.", may i know which parameter you are referring to?

I'm talking about this:

Reconfiguration Trigger Conditions from ALTREMOTE IP

• Bit 4—wdtimer_source: User watchdog timer timeout.
  • Bit 3—nconfig_source: External configuration reset (nCONFIG) assertion.
  • Bit 2—runconfig_source: Configuration reset triggered from logic array.
  • Bit 1—nstatus_source: nSTATUS asserted by an external device as the result of an error.
  • Bit 0—crcerror_source: CRC error during application configuration.

The POR value for all bits are 0.

All those bits are set to 1 if I don't reset the IP long enough. For a 500ms reset, it works fine.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

thanks for the clarification. Let me know if you have the update. Also, can you try to disable the watchdog when performing RSU?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos