Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20640 Discussions

Setting up Intel PAC D5005 with Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL on Ubuntu Server

aejjeh1
Beginner

Hi

Our research group received two PAC D5005 acceleration cards as a donation from Intel  and we installed them in our server that is running Ubuntu 18.04. The server has an AMD EPYC 7453 processor. AFter installing the hardware the cards they appear as PCIE devices as follows:

❯ lspci | grep Intel
01:00.0 Processing accelerators: Intel Corporation Device 0b2b (rev 01)
61:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10G X550T (rev 01)
61:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10G X550T (rev 01)
81:00.0 Processing accelerators: Intel Corporation Device 0b2b (rev 01)

Now I want to set up the boards to work with Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL. The server has version 19.3 installed and is set up to use a license server. I have set up an Arria 10 GX FPGA dev kit on a different machine before so am familiar with the set up process. I noticed that the PAC D50005 doesn't have a BSP available. Instead, it has a software stack that uses OPAE and that seems to only support RedHat linux. I unpacked the tarball of the downloaded acceleration stack and dug through its contents and found an "opencl_bsp" folder under "components/opencl". I tried setting the AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT environment variable to that directory to set up the board as I would with the Arria 10 GX Dev Kit, however the folder seems to be missing a "driver" sub-directory which is needed when I run `aocl install`. I am wondering if there is any BSP available for the D5005 that I can get and use to set up the board for use with AOC without having to install the acceleration stack? What are my options to use this card with OpenCL on an Ubuntu server?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @aejjeh1,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope all is well.

Noted on the details explanation, per my understanding currently there are already steps of installing the OPAE stack on Ubuntu, please refer to the link below.

https://github.com/OPAE/opae-sdk/issues/1583 (zhipengzhaocmu commented on Nov 12, 2020)

Once that is done, you may proceed to follow the steps on initializing the Opencl in the stack

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683324/2-0-1/introduction.html

Hope that clarify your doubts.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @aejjeh1,

Greetings, just checking in to see if there is any further doubts in regards to this matter.

Hope we have clarify your doubts.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @aejjeh1,

Greetings, as a note the previous method mention are not the official supported OS and processor. Hence please try the steps with some precaution, what we would recommend is to use the tested OS and processes for the software stack.

As we do not receive any further clarification/updates on the matter, hence would assume challenge are overcome. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. 

For new queries, please feel free to open a new thread and we will be right with you. Pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos