Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20640 Discussions

Simulating AXI BFM in Modelsim PE

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to use the Mentor Verification AE AXI BFM in Modelsim PE 10.1d. Does it require a separate license file to be generated? Or do I have some other setup issue? It's looking in /win32/ but my modelsim installation has a /win32pe/ directory. Does this BFM work with Modelsim PE or only with AE and Questa? I am getting this error: 

# ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= =========# # ********* Mentor Verification IP AE license manager: ERROR *********# # --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------# # Mentor Verification IP AE license manager: the installation directory in c:/modeltech_pe_10.1d appears incomplete,# # Mentor Verification IP AE license manager: as file 'c:/modeltech_pe_10.1d/win32/mgls/lib/mgls.dll' does not exist or cannot be accessed.# # --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------# # Mentor Verification IP AE license manager: License Support Data 7.0(Questa)Q: Mar 26 2013 12:17:44 / Mar 26 2013 (114)# # Mentor Verification IP AE license manager: built on win32_gcc-4.2.1, with versions v9.4_4.1; 20130322_Questa_10.1b.0.0 (13:3:26)# # Mentor Verification IP AE license manager: QVL Installation directory 'c:/modeltech_pe_10.1d' on platform 'win32'# # --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------# # ********* Mentor Verification IP AE license manager: DO NOT IGNORE *********# # ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= =========# # --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------# ** ERROR: failed to get a license (mgcvipaeaxi4) for Adaptor axi4!# ** Check the license environment (e.g. LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE using lmutils), the transcript and any logs.# --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the Mentor AXI BFMs do require a separate license. this isn't really clear from Altera's website. the part number is: IPS-AXIBFM 

i'm not sure why it thinks your install is incomplete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera re-distributes four AXI BFMs from Mentor Graphics and licenses them as a suite (IPS-AXIBFM). Licensees of the Quartus II Subscription Edition product automatically receive licenses to this suite with each seat of software. Quartus II Web Edition licensees can purchase seats of this suite. As these are Mentor Graphics products, the licenses are cut from their generator and concatenated into the Altera license file. The current suite contents are: 

• Mentor Graphics AXI3 Inline Monitor BFM (Altera Edition)  

• Mentor Graphics AXI3 Master BFM (Altera Edition)  

• Mentor Graphics AXI3 Slave BFM (Altera Edition)  

• Mentor Graphics AXI4 BFM (Altera Edition) 

The user guide outlines the suite in significant detail. It is posted on our website at: http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/mentor_vip_ae_usr.pdf 

-- Product Marketing
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a similar problem. I am trying to run the simulation generated by qsys_example, ex1_back_to_back.qsys that comes with Altera Arria V ST Dev Kit. I am using the instructions in the user guide entitled mentor_vip_ae_usr.pdf. 

Here's the problem. When I try to run "do example.do" from Modelsim Altera Starter Edition 10.1d, I get the following error: 

--- 

**Error (vsim-8388) Could not find the MVC shared library: MvcHome directory 'MvcHome = C:/altera/13.1/quartus/../ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common' is not a valid MVC installation for an available mingw32vc9 GCC version in C:\altera\13.1\modelsim_ase/* available versions 4.2.1 ) Please check MvcHome setting in modelsim.ini or on command line -mvchome  

--- 

The quartus software I use is "SJ Full Version" that came with the dev kit. The $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR = C:/altera/13.1/quartus. I also added a MvcHome = $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR/../ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common in the modelsim.ini file. 

Please shed some light what could possibly be wrong here. 

Thanks, 

mborja
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I have a similar problem. I am trying to run the simulation generated by qsys_example, ex1_back_to_back.qsys that comes with Altera Arria V ST Dev Kit. I am using the instructions in the user guide entitled mentor_vip_ae_usr.pdf. 

Here's the problem. When I try to run "do example.do" from Modelsim Altera Starter Edition 10.1d, I get the following error: 

--- 

**Error (vsim-8388) Could not find the MVC shared library: MvcHome directory 'MvcHome = C:/altera/13.1/quartus/../ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common' is not a valid MVC installation for an available mingw32vc9 GCC version in C:\altera\13.1\modelsim_ase/* available versions 4.2.1 ) Please check MvcHome setting in modelsim.ini or on command line -mvchome  

--- 

The quartus software I use is "SJ Full Version" that came with the dev kit. The $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR = C:/altera/13.1/quartus. I also added a MvcHome = $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR/../ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common in the modelsim.ini file. 

Please shed some light what could possibly be wrong here. 

Thanks, 

mborja 

--- Quote End ---  

You need to check whether you have a license file as mentioned in previous reply
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI, 

do you have this problem: Cant find mgc_axi4_pkg
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

HI, 

do you have this problem: Cant find mgc_axi4_pkg 

--- Quote End ---  

Have you checked whether you have the IPS-AXIBFM license?
0 Kudos