Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

State Machine: Fitter seems to have problems with many states

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good day, 

is there are recommendation for state machines with a bigger number of states? Seems to me that the fitter does seem to need dramatically more compile time for state machines above 27 states. (Attached Project. State machine in module ram_ip_control). 

What I already tried: 

- Turn Fitter Initial Place Seed to 8 

- Enabled Register duplication. 

Analysis and synthesis clearly recognized the state machine. 

The design uses only 12% of LEs of Cyclone V, one pll, one hard ram controller and one dual port ram synthesized as ram and not as LE. I tried to set all nessesary timing constraints. 

However fitter runs on 75 % CPU Usage for a long time and stays at 36 % completion. 

Is there anything that I can do, to solve this issue.  

Edit: Using Quartus Prime Version 17.1.0 Build 590 and device is 5CGXFC5C6F27C7. 

Greetings
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Addition: I changed Assignements -> Settings -> Compilation Process Setting -> Maximum Processors Allowed from 2 to 1 (according to this thread: https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50702

Now fitter is working quite fine and very fast. This is some oddly behaviour and I would expect that quartus ii is buggy with more then one processor for compilation. 

:(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To provide relevant benefit for other users, you should mention the Quartus version and utilized device.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

O.K., I see Quartus 17.0 and 5CGXFC5C6F27C7 in archived project. Compilation seems to proceed regularly with Quartus 15.1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I edited above first post. 

I would recommend to move this topic as this is rather a software issue as a fitter problem. Perhaps there is some inference with antivirus software, too.
0 Kudos