Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

Stratix iv GT General Purpose I/O's

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm working on two projects, one with the DE0-Nano and Stratix iv GT boards. My project is to make a duobinary signal with the two boards. I was able to do so with the DE-Nano fairly easily, but I'm having trouble doing it with the Stratix iv board. I was told not to use the transceivers on the board, but instead use the general purpose user I/O header field because they act similar to the GPIO pins in the Nano. However, I see them all labeled only as J25 and not individually so I'm not able to make the correct pin assignments in the pin assignment editor. I need to activate two of those pins so I can connect them to a circuit I made and test the signal. Help is appreciated

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have the Stratix board schematic? And does the Stratix board example project have a top file that shows the header assignments or an assignments file that does the same?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I do not have a paperback of the board schematic. The last student that last worked on it lost it. So my only sources so far have been from the stratix iv support section here: 

https://www.altera.com/products/fpga/stratix-series/stratix-iv/support.html 

Device pin outs 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/dp/stratix4/ep4s100g2.pdf 

And no the Stratix board example project does not have a top file that shows the header assignments nor does it have an assignment file. A previous student was able to do the project that way, but didn't provide documentation of it so they want me to recreate it and document it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I hate to say this, but without documentation or a previous Quartus project or an assignments file, you really don't have much to work on. I suppose that you could dissect the binary file to determine which I/O is set in a certain way, but: 

What is the Stratix board that you are using? Schematics should be available, unless this is a custom board.
0 Kudos