Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20690 Discussions

Switching from Xilinx, does Altera has XPM (CDC, memory) equivalent module/ip/macro?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thinking about switch to Altera device from Xilinx. But current design is heavily using the XPM for CDC and infer memory (not ultra-ram). So would like to check if Altera has anything similar or any easy solution for this? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

RAM inference is quite robust in both tools, so I don't suspect a problem. If you are using unique cases(like embedded ECC), then inference won't work and you need to instantiate the IP Variant, but for most cases it works fine. If you open a VHDL/Verilog file in Quartus editor, go to Edit -> Insert Templates and you can find many full RAM inference examples. You want yours to just convert over, but if for any reason they don't this is a good place to look. 

I'm not familiar with XPM. Is it a macro for domain crossing? Is it to reduce metastability, or some more like IP that does handshaking/FIFO/etc. to cross domains? Naturally, Altera customers cross clock domains in pretty much every design, so it's by no means a roadblock, but it might be a different methodology.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. Where can I find related documents? 

--- Quote Start ---  

RAM inference is quite robust in both tools, so I don't suspect a problem. If you are using unique cases(like embedded ECC), then inference won't work and you need to instantiate the IP Variant, but for most cases it works fine. If you open a VHDL/Verilog file in Quartus editor, go to Edit -> Insert Templates and you can find many full RAM inference examples. You want yours to just convert over, but if for any reason they don't this is a good place to look. 

I'm not familiar with XPM. Is it a macro for domain crossing? Is it to reduce metastability, or some more like IP that does handshaking/FIFO/etc. to cross domains? Naturally, Altera customers cross clock domains in pretty much every design, so it's by no means a roadblock, but it might be a different methodology. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos