Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

[Target Connection]: No Nios II target connection paths were located. Check connecti

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi folks. I am using the Altera Cyclone III dev kit, Quartus II 10.1 64-bit, Nios II EDS 10.1, on Windows 7, and have until yesterday been able to download the standard NiosII sof file provided by Altera ("cycloneIII_3c120_dev_niosII_standard.sof") and run applications. 

However, yesterday, I started getting the error " [Target Connection]: No Nios II target connection paths were located. Check connections and that a Nios II .sof is downloaded." in the Nios II EDS when attempting to run on the hardware. 

FYI, checked the jtag device list per the other thread reporting similar issues and USB Blaster is the only "cable" installed. 

Not sure what has changed, whether it's a software or hardware issue at this point. Anyone have a clue? 

Thanks for your help, 

Dave
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can try to open the Quartus II to see whether download the sof file is possible. 

If Quartus II can find your connection and you can download the sof but NIOS II still can't find your connection, try to click the refresh connection button for several times.  

If you even can't download the sof, there may be something wrong on your board. (For example, my DE0 board have a RUN/PROG Switch for 

JTAG/AS Modes)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! I am dealing with the same problem. I have Windows 7 (64 bit), Nios II - Eclipse, Quartus II 32-bit version 12.0 Web Edition, BeMicro Elav Kit.  

The FPGA has been successfully programmed with *.sof file with Nios II processor IP in Quartus. The LED on the kit started lighting.  

I tried the Nios Command Shell to load the translated *.elf file manually, but it did not work. When I put: 

nios2-terminal 

It says: 

nios2-terminal: There are no JTAG UARTs available which match the --device and --instance options you provided. 

Putting: 

nios2-download -g bemicro_led_control.elf 

Gives: 

There are no Nios II CPUs with debug modules available which match the values specified. Please check that your PLD is correctly configured, downloading a new SOF file if necessary. 

JTAG seems to work, since jtagconfig --enum returns 

1) Arrow-USB-Blaster [USB0] 

020F20DD EP3C16/EP4CE15 

Downloading the *.sof file under this bash worked. I also tried both to launch Nios 2 Eclipse from both SOPC builder and from the icon in Window's desktop, but no change. 

Please help! Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have already resolved the problem - I unintentionally cancelled the Nios II processor after recording the *.sof file to the FPGA with Quartus programmer. Leave the pop-up window saying "Time ramaining..." open.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have already resolved the problem - I unintentionally cancelled the Nios II processor after recording the *.sof file to the FPGA with Quartus programmer. Leave the pop-up window saying "Time ramaining..." open. 

--- Quote End ---  

I don't get what you have done to resolve this issue. I am not able to run a simple hello world program on my system. Could you please elaborate on this? 

This is the link to my project, I am using DE2i150 board. (couldn't post the link here as I don't have 5 posts, let me know if you want it) 

I am able to run hello world for a system with NIOS2, onchipmemory, Jtag UART, LEDs. But when I add PCIe with a DMA to a duar port onchip memory, things are not working out. 

Please help! 

Ujjwal
0 Kudos
NanjundaM
Novice

Hi

I'm also facing the same issue with the NIOS II.

FPGA is getting programmed with JTAG but the NIOS is showing no JTAG connection.

I'm using the same project binaries. It had worked before with other PC (lower version 13.1) and seems to be issue with tool now.

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Nanjunda M

0 Kudos