Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20640 Discussions

The Fitter failed to find a legal placement for IOPLL with DIB of Stratix 10.

OrF
Employee

I got the next Error from the Fitter while trying to synthesis with DIB 

The Fitter Failed to find legal placement for my IOPLL 

is there a way to find out which PLL is preferred by the DIB , or vise versa  any methodical way    to find out which DIB subsystem / channel or  bank  I  choose - since I know what are my free PLL.

(BTW I have many free pll, but somehow they does not good enough for usage by the fitter due to DIB location )

this is the Error I get:

Error (14996): The Fitter failed to find a legal placement for all periphery components
Error (14986): After placing as many components as possible, the following errors remain:
Error (175001): The Fitter cannot place 1 IOPLL.
Info (14596): Information about the failing component(s):
Info (175028): The IOPLL name(s): f1|cnvr_dib_rx_pll_inst|iopll_0|stratix10_altera_iopll_i|s10_iopll.fourteennm_pll
Error (16234): No legal location could be found out of 24 considered location(s). Reasons why each location could not be used are summarized below:
Error (175006): There is no routing connectivity between source DIB_DIB_PHY and the IOPLL
Info (175026): Source: DIB_DIB_PHY f1|cnvr_dib_wrapper_ins|dib_rx_2_22|dib_0|dib_ch|arch_inst|phy_inst|xphy_inst
Info (175013): The DIB_DIB_PHY is constrained to the region (442, 290) to (442, 290) due to related logic
Info (175015): The I/O pad DIE1_dib_pad_2_22_0[0] is constrained to the location PIN_DIB0_CH22_X1Y2 due to: User Location Constraints (PIN_DIB0_CH22_X1Y2)
Info (14709): The constrained I/O pad contains this DIB_DIB_PHY
Info (175015): The I/O pad DIE1_dib_pad_2_22_3[22] is constrained to the location PIN_DIB94_CH22_X1Y2 due to: User Location Constraints (PIN_DIB94_CH22_X1Y2)
Info (14709): The constrained I/O pad drives a DIB_DIB_IO_WRP, which drives this DIB_DIB_PHY
Info (175021): The DIB_DIB_PHY was placed in location DIBDIBPHY_X442_Y290_N1
Error (175022): The IOPLL could not be placed in any location to satisfy its connectivity requirements

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out Intel FPGA Community.

This error basically caused by the Fitter cannot place the specified logic element in the design.

Could you share the test case design with us? so that I can try to replicate and isolate the issue.

You can choose to share here or privately.

Just let me know which you prefer.

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

I prefer to share the data base privately , to where can I upload it ? (inside intel right ? ) what is the  file  (QAR, Quartos Archive file )?  

Thanks

Or. 

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Or,

I have initiated an email for you. You can share the .qar file through that. Kindly check your inbox.

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

Hi I answered in the email , but didn't get any reply so I post here as well..

the QAR file is very big , and since I'm Intel employee  can you share a place I can upload the QAR file ? 

Thanks

Or. 

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Or,

I have replied through email. Can you see it now?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

got your mail , and put the path to qar file .

reply to email (Intel Customer Support <supportreplies@intel.com>)

Or. 

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

As for now, I am not getting your reply yet.

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

I sent 2 times to the support did you get it eventually ? 

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Okay got it. I managed to reproduce the error from my side. I will start with debugging and communicate back with you if I have any findings.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Or,

Apologies for the delay. I have several tasks and make me overlook for this. I am still trying to fix the error.

Can you follow this guideline as below link and see if the error still remains?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683142/20-2-19-3-0/clocking-options.html

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

Hi Aqid

I don't see any relation to my issue with the suggested guideline.

1.  in the document you send , it is about clock/pll which "Feeds" the DIB, in my case the the PLL is Feed by a clock which transfer from the other die via the DIB "Source-synchronous" architecture, the the clock which arrives from the DIB is feeding the PLL ... 

2. more over , if  I would like learn from the document you sent  , it does not say anything how to choose specific pll. which might solve the Fitter issues.

if you can please elaborate what did you mean , that I should follow this guideline in my design , since I don't find any relation to my issue, or something I can do.

Thanks

Or.  

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Or,

Apologies as I am did not aware that clocks are being transferred to another die via DIB.

Have you tried to provide the input clock signal to the IOPLL through dedicated clock pins?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

I didn't try because my design is Source-synchronous , clock is coming WITH the data. 

it seems that Intel does not support "Source-synchronous" via DIB and it is not written any where ...

Or. 

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Or,

Have you check this guideline?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683142/20-2-19-3-0/clocking-in-asynchronous-and-synchronous.html

It mentioned that "the DIB subsystem sends a source synchronous clock to another DIB subsystem in the adjacent die (TX or RX). In Synchronous mode, the system clock is synchronous to the DIB clock."

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

Hi,

Yes , I read this guideline .

this guideline presents the DIB solution and explain the clocks transfer of the DIB itself , it does not explain how to transfer clock from one side other side. this is different design solution , which means that my design should transfer its data without its clock. the data itsefl will be sync by the DIB clock 

Or.  

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Alright, I understand.

I think you may right which the design might be not supported.

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos