Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

The importance of On-Chip Memory,JTAG UART and System ID

Gyud0
Beginner

Hey,

I would like to know what is the design purpose of the On-Chip Memory,Jtag Uart and System ID. I added them in QSYS tool and I want to be sure about them.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

On-chip memory is memory. You can store data on the FPGA in a memory array just like external memory.

The JTAG UART is usually used with a processor, like the Nios soft processor, for serial communications, such as an ASCII interface for communicating with the processor (printf for example) over JTAG.

The system ID component is also usually used with a processor to link the code written for the design with the hardware it was written for. If the system ID in hardware is different from the system ID in compiled code, the code can't run in the existing hardware system design.

#iwork4intel

Gyud0
Beginner

Thank you.

just to be sure about the On-chip memory, The compiled code translated to an ELF file . When I run the code, the ELF file just being downloading to the On-chip memory and operates the target processor (like Nios)?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel
The .elf file need to be converted to .hex file before upload it into on-chip memory
0 Kudos