Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Timing analysis error on Asynchronous control signals

NShan12
New Contributor I

Hello,

In my design, there is an asynchronous bus between FPGA and Microcontroller (Master). FPGA uses the edges on the signals WRN (Write active) and ALE (Address Enable) to classify if the signals on the bus indicate Data or Address .

As the logic is checking for the edges on WRN and ALE in a process, Quartus thinks they are clocks and gives timing errors: "WRN and ALE are clocks and they are not constrained". 

How do I solve this issue having known that WRN and ALE are not clocks?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Set the signals as false paths.

0 Kudos
NShan12
New Contributor I

Yes, I had set false paths on them. But Timing analyzer report still shows these two signals as unconstrained clocks in the clock status summary.

My Code:

--somewhere in the architecture

PROCESS ( ale, adbus )
BEGIN
         IF ( ale'event AND ale = '0' ) THEN
                      address <= adbus;
         END IF ;
END PROCESS;

PROCESS ( wrn, clearn, adbus )
BEGIN
         IF clearn = '0' THEN
                     data<= "0000000000000000" ;
         ELSIF ( wrn'event AND wrn = '1' ) THEN
                     data <= adbus( 15 DOWNTO 0 );
        END IF ;

END PROCESS

I am using the edges of ALE and WRN to identify if it is address or data on the adbus, and the tool thinks these are clocks.

There are also warnings: 

Warning (332060): Node: wrn was determined to be a clock but was found without an associated clock assignment.

Warning (332060): Node: ale was determined to be a clock but was found without an associated clock assignment.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You're coding them like clocks so the tool will think they're clocks.

What do your false path constraints look like?

0 Kudos
NShan12
New Contributor I

The false path constraints are as follows:

set_false_path -from [get_ports WRN]

set_false_path -from [get_ports ALE]

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I think as long as you are using edges instead of logic levels for these control signals, the tool will still look at these as clocks.

Is there a reason why you must do this and can't just turn these processes into combinatorial logic instead of registers?

0 Kudos
NShan12
New Contributor I

This is a legacy design and I am using the same.

I anyways gave a try by changing the code as below:

PROCESS ( ale, adbus )
BEGIN
         IF ( ale = '1' ) THEN
                      address <= adbus;
         END IF ;
END PROCESS;

PROCESS ( wrn, clearn, adbus )
BEGIN
         IF clearn = '0' THEN
                     data<= "0000000000000000" ;
         ELSIF ( wrn = '0' ) THEN
                     data <= adbus( 15 DOWNTO 0 );
        END IF ;

END PROCESS

Surprisingly, timing analyzer still shows that the clocks ALE and WRN are unconstrained.

I see in the RTL viewer that ALE and WRN are used as the latch enable signals which concurs with the code above. I do not understand why the timing analyzer still complains that these are unconstrained clocks.

Is it critical to proceed with these timing errors? Can I go back to existing legacy solution where edges of ALE and WRN are used?

In any case, how can I solve the unconstrained clock warning by the timing analyzer?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Naveen,

"In any case, how can I solve the unconstrained clock warning by the timing analyzer"

- Assuming I understand your question, have you able to constrain all the clocks in sdc? This should reflect in Timing Analyzer

0 Kudos
NShan12
New Contributor I

Hi,

Yes, all the clocks (on IO ports, generated clocks, virtual clocks etc.) are constrained in the SDC file. Since WRN and ALE are not clocks only false path constraints exist on them.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Naveen,

If thats the case, my suggestion is to check Ignored Constrain Report in Timing Analyzer. I suspect that few clock constraint has been neglected for some reason. Once you identified it, make sure the clock is valid, you can use node finder and check the node if it exist. 

0 Kudos
NShan12
New Contributor I

Hello,

I checked the ignored constraints report in Timing analyser. It shows no constraints are ignored. See screenshot below:

NShan12_0-1639133106191.png

But the warning: "Warning (332060): Node: WRN was determined to be a clock but was found without an associated clock assignment." still remains. Just to remind you, I am not using edges of WRN to latch data. I do not understand why WRN is considered as a clock even though I am not coding it as a clock.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Naveen,

Speaking of legacy, you must be using the snippet to previous Quartus. What Quartus you are using now and prior to this? Can you try to use latest release and see if there is clock warning? 

0 Kudos
NShan12
New Contributor I

Hi SyafieqS_Intel,

I am using Quartus 20.1.1 Standard. All the information/code and screenshots I have shared are from the same version.

The legacy design was developed in MAXPLUS II.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Naveen,

May I know if there is any update/concern from my previous reply?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

I mean 21.1 STD version, the latest Quartus release.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Naveen,

Have you able to resolve this at your end?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Naveen,

Can you click on check timing report and see if there is no clock report. You can see details of the no clock ignored as the warning mentioned that. You can see the target node of the clock with reason.

0 Kudos
NShan12
New Contributor I

Hello @SyafieqS ,

Sorry for a late reply. I could not check with 21.1 STD.

But with QP20.1.1 STD, I find these results:

1. The two unconstrained clocks are ALE and WRN.

NShan12_0-1644911259686.png

2. The check timing report: I guess the number 75 indicates the total number of cells which are controlled by ALE and WRN .

NShan12_1-1644911341519.png

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Naveen,

Are the signal still being ignored if you change the constraint from set_false_path to set_clock_group? I noticed that this is a asynchronous control signals.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Naveen,

Let me know if there is any update from previous reply?

Are you able to constrain the clocks?

0 Kudos
NShan12
New Contributor I

Hello @SyafieqS , sorry for a delayed reply. Held up with too many topics.

To replace  false path to clock groups, I should first create clock constraints on WRN and ALE. This is as per Intel's example set clock groups constraint:

NShan12_0-1648202076672.png

But since ALE and WRN are just address latch and write enable signals they do not have a clock period. So, I do not know how to write a generate clock constraint on ALE and WRN.

The below screenshot shows the behaviour of ALE and WRN during a bus write cycle:

NShan12_1-1648202299043.png

Thank you.

0 Kudos