Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20702 Discussions

Tutorial or user guide on simulating HPS-FPGA system

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Does anyone know if I can find any tutorial or user guide on how to use Modelsim-Altera to simulate an HPS-FPGA soc? I'm able to use vlog to compile the design, however, when I do vsim, many design units cannot be found. This includes: cyclonev_hps_peripheral_sdmmc, cyclonev_hps_peripheral_sdmmc, cyclonev_hps_peripheral_usb, etc. 

I haven't seen any document about simulating an HPS-FPGA system. Is it ever possible? I am using the modelsim-altera with license (modelsim-ae). Is there any other license that I need? Thanks! 

Qinru
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Check below link. 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/qsys/exm-hps-axi-bfm.html 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. It compiles okay. However, I got error loading the design. There are lots of warning about fail to find the design. For example: 

# ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function 'questa_mvc_sv_hist_dump' in DPI precompiled library search list "C:\intelFPGA\18.0\ip\altera\mentor_vip_ae\common/questa_mvc_core/win32_gcc-4.2.1/libaxi_IN_SystemVerilog_MTI_full.dll ". 

There is also error message in the command line:  

C:\intelFPGA\18.0\modelsim_ae\win32aloem>vsim -mvchome C:\intelFPGA\18.0\ip\altera\mentor_vip_ae\common 

Reading C:/intelFPGA/18.0/modelsim_ae/tcl/vsim/pref.tcl 

'env' is not recognized as an internal or external command, 

operable program or batch file. 

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc' 

what(): std::bad_alloc 

Then the program got terminated. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

Check below link. 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/qsys/exm-hps-axi-bfm.html 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

In the above link, the example uses the Mentor Graphics* Master bus functional model (BFM) to model the HPS AXI Bridge interface communicating with the FPGA core logic. 

Which required License kindly check the below link table-1 to generate the required(AXI BFM) license and try to simulate. 

https://www.altera.com/products/intellectual-property/design/ip-base-suite.html 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

0 Kudos