Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20692 Discussions

USB-Blaster for Windows 11

Farishb
Beginner

Hello all

I am having problem installing USB-Blaster in DE0 for Windows 11. It cannot find the driver in the specified directory. Is there any way to run this on Windows 11?

Thanks for your help

Fari

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Intel/Altera's official statement is Quartus software is not yet supported on Windows 11, so don't expect it to work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Intel/Altera's official statement is Quartus software is not yet supported on Windows 11, so don't expect it to work.

0 Kudos
Farishb
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

This is exceedingly frustrating. Not only am I trying to run it in Windows 11, I'm trying to run it on ARM. What's frustrating is that the driver is just the FTDI D2XX driver repackaged. They don't need to have their own driver. They could just use whatever FTDI D2XX driver is installed on the system.

FTDI already has drivers for Windows 11 on ARM, x86_64, and other platforms.

JuliusL
Beginner

Quartus prime pro 23.1 is out and I was able to download programmer and tools from additional software. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software-kit/776242/intel-quartus-prime-pro-edition-design-software-version-23-1-for-windows.html

Install Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition Programmer and Tools and update driver under install folder C:\intelFPGA_pro\23.1\qprogrammer\quartus\drivers.

It works fine so far.

Julius

Wilfred1
Beginner

I could not install the driver on windows 11,but i first install windows 10 and install the driver and after it works i upgrade windows to windows 11 and then it works perfectly every time

0 Kudos
NazrulNaim_Intel
Employee

Hi Fari,

Regarding the issue with the USB blaster, as mention by ak6dn there will be issues regarding installing the USB blaster in Windows 11 because It is not officially supported yet by Intel. We cannot sure that it will 100% works in windows 11. As for work around to troubleshoot the issue, you can follow the instruction from the link that I have attached below.

https://www.terasic.com.tw/wiki/Altera_USB_Blaster_Driver_Installation_Instructions

Regards,

Nazrul Naim

0 Kudos
Farishb
Beginner
0 Kudos
Wilfred1
Beginner

I could not install the driver on windows 11,but i first install windows 10 and install the driver and after it works i upgrade windows to windows 11 and then it works perfectly every time

0 Kudos
NazrulNaim_Intel
Employee

Hi Fari,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Regards,

Nazrul Naim

0 Kudos
twister1398
Beginner

I downloaded Quartus Prime 22.1 today, and the provided Blaster driver still is refused for an expired certificate. How can Intel afford to provide drivers with expired certificates? For more than a year, the driver installation requires jumping through hoops and searching driver patches for the most current versions of your toolchain.

Can it really be necessary to resolve this by downloading a third-party driver?

0 Kudos
Roger36
Beginner

I downloaded USB Blaster driver for Windows 10 from

File:Usb blaster q16.1.zip - Terasic Wiki

put them to Quartus drivers subdirectory,

"~\quartus\drivers"

then update USB Blaster driver form Device Manager -> USB Blaster.

Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for your device - Terasic Wiki

I've been able to make it works in Windows 11.

JonnieCache
Beginner

Hi, @Roger36.

I have followed your post, but I still can't get it to work under Windows 11. It still gives me an error that it cannot load the driver:

------------

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

{Bad Image}
%hs is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x

-------------

Is there anything else that you can think of that you did in order to get it to work under Windows 11? I'm going to have to run a VM with Win 10 in the meantime.

I know Win 11 isn't supported and I'm not expecting you to know the answer. I just thought I would give it a shot to see if you have any other thoughts.

Thank you,

Jonnie

0 Kudos
twister1398
Beginner

Hi Roger36,

I have followed your instructions as far as possible:

- Installation of the linked driver worked successfully, but in Device Manager, the USB Blaster still shows up as "unknown device".

- Updating the driver is not possible, as Windows does not recognize the driver update as a match for the device.

Any more input on this will be very welcome.

Best Regards,

Tobias

0 Kudos
andresev
Beginner
0 Kudos
salomaosander
Beginner

I followed the instructions, and everything went as expected. Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Arief-AK
Beginner

Hi all,

To formally reply to the initial question by @Farishb , I was able to make my windows 11 machine recognise the device by reverting back to Quartus Prime 18.1. You can download Quartus Prime 18.1 using this link (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software-kit/665990/intel-quartus-prime-lite-edition-design-software-version-18-1-for-windows.html)

FPGA:

Model: Terasic FPGA DE-10

Device: Intel Cyclone V

Background:

I had installed Quartus Prime 22.1 prior to Quartus Prime 18.1. I encountered the unrecognised driver issue as well. I have tried to fix it with the solution from @Roger36 to no success. Hence the rolling-back to Quartus 18.1.

To my surprise, during the installation for 18.1, I was prompted with the install USB driver checkbox. I then continued with the installation. When the FPGA is connected,  the driver should be installed under JTAG cables in the device manager.

AriefAK_0-1678350551440.png

Device Manager (FPGA not-plugged in)

AriefAK_1-1678350609729.png

Windows 11 Info

Hope this helps someone!

Arief.

DogZapper50
Beginner

I got Quartus-II v13.0.1 to work with bitblaster driver for my new DE0 Nano board from Terasic on Windows 11.

The problem is of the many drivers that I downloaded, I can't remember which driver worked.

Anyway, its working so I'm good to go.

Thanks!

Terry

0 Kudos
Wilfred1
Beginner

0 Kudos