Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Understanding training patterns for Stratix-II deserializer DPA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to figure out requirements for Dynamic Phase Alignment (DPA) as implemented by LVDS receiver (non-GXB) in Altera Stratix-II family. 

The device handbook provides very limited information: 

"the dpa block requires a training pattern and a training sequence of at least 256 repetitions of the training pattern. the training pattern is not fixed, so you can use any training pattern with at least one transition on each channel." 

I want to know a bit more than that. In particular: 

1. Minimal training pattern length in bits 

2. Maximal training pattern length in bits 

3. Does Minimal/Maximal length depend on deserialization factor? 

4. Are there limitations for minimal/maximal transition density? 

Did you, dear experts, see more detailed information on the issue or, may be, learned something about it from experience? 

Best Regards, 

Michael
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the last section of the handbook(all the timing numbers) there should be DPA specs.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

In the last section of the handbook(all the timing numbers) there should be DPA specs. 

--- Quote End ---  

There are specs in Chapter 5, but they don't answer my questions. 

For example, could long run of 10-bit "comma" patterns generated by one of the popular 8b/10b alphabets serve as DPA training sequence when deserialization factor=8 rather than 10? Chapter 5 gives no answer. To the contrary, the spec tables in Chapter 5 introduce yet another concept that I don't understand (and that handbook does not explain) - DPA run length. 

If there is no good answer to my questions above, may be, somebody here could answer a related question. 

What happens when DPA is presented with sequence of bits that is guaranteed to have certain density of transitions, for example, >10%, but is totally aperiodic? Does DPA do nothing at all in this case or does it continue to track after timing changes, just less efficiently than with "legal" training sequence?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe DPA run length is the max number of cycles of a constant value can occur before loosing lock. As for a training pattern, I've heard pretty much anything with transitions will work, but with fewer transititons it may just take longer. It is not looking for a pattern though(such as 10-bit comma), just transitions to figure out where the data changes and where to center the clock. There is no word alignment occuring, as that has to be done by you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

As for a training pattern, I've heard pretty much anything with transitions will work, but with fewer transitions it may just take longer. It is not looking for a pattern though(such as 10-bit comma), just transitions to figure out where the data changes and where to center the clock. 

--- Quote End ---  

That's what I, too, thought would be logical. 

However I see different behavior in the field. Sometimes it looks like after achieving initial lock a DPA machine completely stops tracking [very slow in my case] data phase changes. That despite transmitted data containing significant number of transitions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How can you tell? Do the bits start getting corrupted? How much does your data change?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

How can you tell? Do the bits start getting corrupted?  

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, data is sent as relatively short fixed size frames with word synchronization pattern at the beginning and frame check sequence (CRC) at at the end of each frame. I run the tests over wide span of temperatures and at certain relatively narrow temperature regions I see both "dotty" data errors and more stable bit slips, typically by two bit positions. 

--- Quote Start ---  

How much does your data change? 

--- Quote End ---  

On average, there are changes more than 50% of the time.  

Worst case, ~300 bits without changes and then a short burst at 100% changes, but worst case is extremely rare.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I forget all the DPA connections for Stratix II. Some thoughts: 

- Do you know when the open areas area? Maybe you could disable the DPA from aligning during those periods? (I've heard of people disabling it from changing altogether once it's locked on) 

- Not sure what the transmitter is, but could you add a "comma-character". This doesn't work with some data types, but just a thought.  

- I have heard of one issue where the design had large variations over temperature, specifically the clock was sent directly to the receive FPGA(running DPA), but went through 3 other FPGAs where the third one was the transmitter. Over temperature, the path through the three FPGAs varied quite a bit(many ns) while the clock path did not. This resulted in a FIFO over-flow in the DPA. I "think" they reset the FIFO once the DPA locked, but can't remember for sure. 

- Obviously, this shouldn't be happening and it's probably worthwhile filing a Service Request with Altera.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Most of your questions can be easily answered, if you think about what the DPA does. It adjusts the phase on a bit level, that's all. Thus it basically needs some signal edges.  

The problem get's more complicated if consider the properties of your transmission channel. A dispersive cable will introduce an interdependance of subsequent bits. That's a point, where the structure of training patterns starts to matter. But the problem isn't related to FPGA properties rather than to your external circuit.  

Another point is, that DPA is often used in a combination with word alingnment. In this case, a training pattern should serve both purposes.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FvM, 

I started by using common sense and common knowledge very similar to yours and ended up in where I am now, which, believe me, is not a pleasant place to be. So from now on I want to rely on exact knowledge, preferably directly from the developers of the DPA module in Stratix-II or, at worst, from somebody who can talk to them. 

Who knows, may be they cut some corner or simply made a mistake and, as a result, DPA do requires strictly periodic patterns for proper delay tracking?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I forget all the DPA connections for Stratix II. Some thoughts: 

- Do you know when the open areas area? Maybe you could disable the DPA from aligning during those periods? (I've heard of people disabling it from changing altogether once it's locked on) 

--- Quote End ---  

I don't quite understand what you mean by "open areas". Relative long runs without transitions? No I can't predict them, but with tiny modification of protocol I can assure that they wouldn't happen at all. Don't believe it will make the difference, since they are already extremely rare and certainly much shorter than "DPA run length" from the handbook. 

As to disabling DPA from changing altogether once it's locked on, that's was our original design. Turned out it is not good enough, although I still don't understand why. In our topology the difference between clock path and data path is in order of 200mm, so, according to my understanding, temperature changes could change the relationship by, at worst, few tens of ps. Nevertheless, the practice proved that the drift is much bigger than that. So now I want fully dynamic solution with DPA tracking all the time. May be, now I went too far into "dynamic" direction. Sort of suffering second-system effect :( However, "fully-dynamic" is a solution that I now want. 

--- Quote Start ---  

- Not sure what the transmitter is, but could you add a "comma-character". This doesn't work with some data types, but just a thought.  

- I have heard of one issue where the design had large variations over temperature, specifically the clock was sent directly to the receive FPGA(running DPA), but went through 3 other FPGAs where the third one was the transmitter. Over temperature, the path through the three FPGAs varied quite a bit(many ns) while the clock path did not. This resulted in a FIFO over-flow in the DPA. I "think" they reset the FIFO once the DPA locked, but can't remember for sure. 

--- Quote End ---  

Well, as I said above, our temperature variations a bigger than we anticipated, but hopefully don't exceed 1-1.5 ns. As to reseting FIFO once the DPA locked, according to my understanding of the manual, in Stratix-II that is a default behavior. 

--- Quote Start ---  

- Obviously, this shouldn't be happening and it's probably worthwhile filing a Service Request with Altera. 

--- Quote End ---  

We are starting. 

Unfortunately, so far we were not even able to explain to the service person what the problem is. SR process takes time and, at least in my experience, almost never leads to satisfactory results. May be, because I don't tend to ask easy questions that can be answered by re-reading the manuals?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The DPA is used in lots of applications(ethernet, ADCs, chip-to-chip custom protocols, etc.) I don't know the exact details, but note that you're giving it a clock that matches the source(not phase, but 0PPM difference). It creates basically an 8x oversampling. Unlike a CDR circuit, if there are no edges, this circuit should be able to do nothing rather than drift off.  

Out of curiosity, what is the data rate? Do you have an idea how much the data skews? 

I agree that I am surely over-simplifying, as everything tends to be more complicated when you peel it back, so make sure you open something with Altera rather than just the forum.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Out of curiosity, what is the data rate? Do you have an idea how much the data skews? 

--- Quote End ---  

1000 MBps. Uncomfortably close to 1040 MBps maximum specified in the handbook. 

No, I have no idea by how much clock/data relationship floats over time and temperature. I thought that it shouldn't be no more than 100-200 ps, but the practice proved me wrong. So I don't try to guess anymore and direct measurements are rather difficult to setup.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So from now on I want to rely on exact knowledge. 

--- Quote End ---  

As far as I understand, you mainly observed the problem, that the receiver isn't stable enough over the intended temperature range. I can't see, how the problem should be related to train patterns or some hidden DPA properties that you suspect. 

In my view, is simply a case of operating near the speed limits.
0 Kudos