Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

VHDL/Modelsim bug?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, i have two modules sending signal to each other, one module has the following code 

when WAIT_REQ_DATA => -- Wait for a requisition from the Goertzel module if req_data = '1' then calibration_state_next <= ASK_DATA; get_data_reg_next <= '1'; else calibration_state_next <= WAIT_REQ_DATA; end if; 

while the other has this code 

when WAIT_ENABLE => get_sample_next <= '0'; if data_ready_i = '1' then state_core_next <= LOOP_PRINCIPAL_P1; else state_core_next <= WAIT_ENABLE; end if; 

Everything seems ok and it works for 185 times... then it stops to work (when the data_ready_i goes to 1 my state doesnt change in the second module) 

I made a change in my code to this:  

when WAIT_ENABLE => if data_ready_i = '1' then get_sample_next <= '0'; state_core_next <= LOOP_PRINCIPAL_P1; else state_core_next <= WAIT_ENABLE; end if; 

And then we can see in the screenshot that in the 185th time my module needs the data_ready to be one for two clock pulses  

There is absolutely no sense on this... why would everything work for 185 times and then stop? I am in the right state working for the pulse and the pulse happens... 

any help is welcome
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how do you generate data_ready_in. 

if it is not generated on same clock you might get problems of delta delay or actual delay that is not visible in waveforms
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Both modules are recieving the same clock input (50 mhz) directly from the pin. 

Data_ready_in is an input that is connected in the get_data_reg_next from my second module 

when INCREMENT => -- Increment signals for processing data_output_reg_next <= acc_reg; data_ready_reg_next <= '1';  

and it goes to zero one state after..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's like the IF isn't working, can't be more clear then IF IN = 1 change state 

and the IF is going to one.. seriously
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As such it is perplexing without knowing fullm picture. However I note the change occurs when get_sample gows low. Do you have any conditions apart from if somewhere up the process

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nope. 

Well, i registed the input and everything works fine now but i shouldnt need to register the input..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how about posting the code and testbench?

0 Kudos