Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

VHDL Port Mismatch Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Everyone,  

I have defined a component in my VHDL Flash file as shown in the Capture 1 attachment.  

And I have generated a Flash IP. 

The Flash is instantiated as shown in Capture 2.  

When I compile the code, it throws in an error saying:  

Error (12012): Port direction mismatch for entity "Flash_intf:Flash_Interface_Program|Flash:Flash_inst" at port "flash_nwe". Upper entity is expecting "Input" pin while lower entity is using "Output" pin. 

Can anyone please tell me why am I getting this port mismatch error? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You don't show the upper-level (or top-level) ports, but usually write enable and the other control signals are outputs to a flash device, not inputs.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You don't show the upper-level (or top-level) ports, but usually write enable and the other control signals are outputs to a flash device, not inputs. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your reply.  

But I am getting the same error for address as well. The Flash_address is input std_logic_vector of 23 bits.  

But it still says  

Error (12012): Port direction mismatch for entity "Flash_intf:Flash_Interface_Program|Flash:Flash_inst" at port "flash_addr". Upper entity is expecting "Input" pin while lower entity is using "Output" pin. 

I don't think address is also output.  

Can you suggest what might be going wrong with this parameter? 

Thank you once again.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Of course address is an output. That's how you choose an address location on the flash to read or write.  

Can you post your top-level ports?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you draw a block diagram of how you think everything is hooked up? It can helpmin understanding what is going on.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for replying. I was able to solve the problem. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for replying. I was able to solve the problem. Address has to be output like you said. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos