Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

VHDL to schematic

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi 

hope if any one knows how to convert VHDL codes to schematic drawing, can this be done by altera software, or there is different software should be used 

thank you so much
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After synthesis, go to Tools -> RTL Viewer. It's by no means perfect(you're not going to print out nice clean schematics) but it's useful for understanding how the VHDL was interpreted. Why do you want the schematic? Documentation purposes? So you can edit it? To try and visualize the RTL? Something else?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thnak you for the reply, i am using max plus 2 , do you think , i will be able to do it, i am doing it just for some resaon to compare between the schematic and Vhdl codes program,,,

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm pretty sure Max+Plus 2 doesn't have that. Download the web edition of Quartus. I think it has that, but to be honest, am not 100% sure.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you once again for the reply, it is highly apprecaited, i will try to down load Quartus web edition and see if it works,,, 

just have another question about a program i alreday wrote in VHDL , when i simulated the program , in the wave form , i can not see the names of my states, the wave is correct but instaed of writing the names of the states it deals with them like numbers 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, i will be so thankful to you for the help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what did you simulate with? 

If it was a post synthesis simulation, it will have encoded your states into binary.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank u for the reply, i downloaded the Quartus web edition, it does not support RTL as it is limited software, i am trying to write a code for T-bird ford tail lights, i did write the program , have you ever coem across such a program

0 Kudos
NChan38
Beginner

You can now automatically generate a great schematic block view from verilog/VHDL/SystemVerilog with RTLVision PRO or StarVision PRO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Vub7mVhSI

0 Kudos